If you had $35- $40 K, what SUV , truck or car would you purchase and why?

I test drove a couple of them(Sport Trac). they’re pretty roomy inside, even have(had?) optional movable pedals for more leg room up front

If you are thinking about a Hummer, let me suggest, in spite of the public flogging I will receive, a Land Rover. I have a Discovery II and it has been a very good ride so far. They have a bit more off-road prowess than the H3 and you can get a very nice used Discoery or Range Rover long wheel base for less than the $35K. Despite the guffaws you may receive from the uninformed and unwashed, all big Rovers are safe, ride great and have mucho room - and a lot of them have seating for seven. Having owned MBs, BMWs, Volvos and a VW, I can tell you the Rover (as long as it has Bosch electronics) is a pretty reliable ride. And you will like them!

I while ago I saw a “real” 4WD truck set up for off-roading with a sign on the back that said “hummer recovery vehicle.” That just about sums up the whole hummer thing. Most of the hummers in my neighborhood a used to drop the kids off at schools (glorified mini-vans).

Anonymous posters suck resources, pollute excessively, for their size are not very practical, and few if any people actually need one.

Go out and drive your moped in traffic. I’ll be safely driving along in my Land Rover with the safari package…

I had to answer this question while car shopping this summer. My criteria were
[list]no convertibles[/list]
[list]rear or all-wheel-drive[/list]
[list]five or six speed manual transmission[/list]
[list]zero to sixty time around 6 seconds[/list]
[list]braking and handling at least as good as my old RX-7[/list]
[list]quiet and comfortable enough for me to survive a long day’s drive[/list]
[list]a used example of a uniquely desirable model would be acceptable, provided it was in excellent condition.[/list]
After trying several Audis, BMWs, Porsches and Infinitis, I picked the new Infiniti G37 coupe.

Lexus might have been a candidate, but the only rear or all-wheel-drive car they make with a manual transmission is the slow and boring IS250. The only interesting “American” car was the discontinued Pontiac GTO.

My only disappointment with the G37 is its gas mileage, which is not very good due to its size and weight. However, the cars that offered significantly better mileage while meeting my other requirements cost much more to buy and/or maintain than the G37. I wouldn’t save enough on gas to offset those costs.

If you have 6 family members and you find $60 a lot to fill the tank, then a minivan with the smallest engine is your choice. Lee Iacocca was thinking about you when he "invented " the minivan. A friend of my parents with a family of 7 bougth a Volkswagen Minibus in the sixties, since it was both economical and spacious. The Dodge Grand Caravan, for instance, has tons of space and is not hard on gas.

Cadillac CTS was just named Motor Trend Car of the Year. It’s edgy styling stands out from all the jellybean cars these days that look like a 1950 Mercury warmed over.

I think I’d take the "50 mercury, there is a difference between “edgy” and funny looking.

My older sister was “swept off her feet” by a “dashing” young guy in a low slung 1950 Mercury, in light green metallic and the mandatory sunvisor and cop-style spotlight. It even had curb feelers. That was in 1953. The rest is history. He now drives a Buick Lesabre.

“He now drives a Buick Lesabre.”

Now that’s depressing. (-;