If you had $35- $40 K, what SUV , truck or car would you purchase and why?

Have to go with a Mustang SVT. Awesome car even if I would only drive in good weather.

Well, being as close to retirement as I am, I’d be reluctant to spend it on a ar or truck, unless I really needed one. I am partial to the nearly 40 mpg I get out of my Saturn and I like the utility of my Nissan hardbody that still gets about 24 mpg, but there are days I’d like to get a Mustang GT with a 5 speed and AC. I wouldn’t need any other options and it would satisfy my need for speed on occasion without too great a penalty at the pump. And I believe it would leave me with a few grand for retirement too.

The Shelby GT would be fun too, but it is a bit of overkill.

found a $25k NEW Hummer 3 @ PUTNAM …

what to you guys think?

to be fair he did say SUV truck OR car so you coulda said fuel efficent civic or somthing

if you want a hummer 3 get a hummer 3 but have paramedics on stand by the fist time you fill her up

my van cost’s $60 to fill up, and I have 6 family members - do you have any better ideas than sarcasm, will appreciate positve feedback, please.

It’s tough to say. We don’t know which of the two styles it is and what options there are. If it’s stripped and the destination charges are included, it’s a good deal. Not great, but good. If you have to add destination charges, it’s an average deal. Remember the $2500 rebate gets it down to $25,000 with only a small discount.

Better ideas! I guess by your post that you want to save money on fuel. I don’t have any revelations, just the same old stuff. But it might be worth saying again in case you missed an item. Maybe others will chime in with the stuff I miss.

Drive gently. Do not leave the line quickly unless absolutely neccessary. Drive the speed limit when you finally get there (drive gently, remember?). Most cars I’ve driven have gearing that shift around 45 to 50 MPH so that you are at low RPMs when you cruise at 55 to 65 MPH. I did an experiment on a 65 MPH road where I drove at 55 MPH and then covered the same stretch at 65 MPH using cruise control both times. The mileage at 55 MPH was more than 10% better than at 65 MPH. Check your tire pressure weekly. Keep up with maintenance. If your car is in top condition it will provide the best service. Anyone else? Help me! Help me! ;^)

Perhaps the real fools are people who can afford to enjoy life and do not. My own heart attack in April, combined with two coworkers having died of heart attacks this year, taught me that none of us really knows whether we’ll live to see another day.

Cadillac CTS with a manual transmission, rear wheel, not four wheel drive and the port, not direct injection engine.

I agree with buying new. Someone has to do the dirty work so there are leftovers for others.

I forgot to say why. A CTS with rear wheel drive as described will handle better, get better fuel mileage and has a whole lot more class than an SUV. With gas costs on the way up and considering the warnings about global warming, the fuel mileage is especially important. Highway rating is 26 mpg. Base sticker price will be a little under 35k. The direct injection engine has more power but has not been in consumer’s hands for enough time to prove it.

I’d go for a real boring but reliable car like a Lexus ES 350. I would equip it with the best tires available, summer and winter sets. As well, a good navigation system to find my way around strange cities.

I would buy a Honda S2000 for $32,000 and spend the rest on the insurance.

Haven’t we been through this? You might use less gas, but you won’t save any money. Edmuds.com has done a study that shows that unless you drive more than 25,000 miles per year, a hybrid isn’t likely to save you any money. Even then, only the Honda Civic Hybrid will allow you to recover the “hybrid premium” within five years, and that is only if you drive 25,000 miles per year. Every financial study done has confirmed these findings.

But we digress. So let’s get back to the OP’s question.

Agree that a good used car is the best way to go. I bought my first car (used 1948 Cevrolet Stylemaster) for $125 in 1959 while still in school. Bought one new car, a 1965 Dodge Dart for work in sales. Until February of this year (2007) my total LIFETIME outlay for car purchases since 1959 was $25,500! That’s 11 cars. I broke down this year and bought my 2nd new car, since we planned to do a lot of travelling. It’s been fun keeping an old, but well cared for bunch of cars going.

Yes, Jeremy we have been. There might be some special circumstances that would justify a Highlander Hybrid. Our family doctor is also a sports doctor (winter sports), and an outdoors type. He needs an SUV, but with due respect for for the environment, he bought a Hybrid Highlander. He knows the economics don’t add up. I cannot think of any other rationale to own a Hybrid Highlander.

Anonymous, how about posting your ‘nickname’ on the bottom of your posts so we know who we’re dealing with.

If I only had that much money, I would get a job. Oh, you meant what vehicle would I buy for that amount! I would only get the Explorer that looks like a pickup. I don’t care if it costs too little, it is probably the only comfortable pickup looking vehicle.

Try Toyota Land Cruiser. Or if you want something new, and you dont have to fit too many people, I would go for FJ Cruiser. With FJ you will save some money even if you buy all the options and get the true off road / all weather capability.