Idling engines bad for Mother Earth

@kmccune - there is no ‘market’ for electricity production while the government is pumping billions into different areas, with the wind and, especially, solar subsidies exploding over the last few years:

I’d be happy with getting rid of most subsidies (I don’t know enough to say whether some are beneficial). And I would want coal power plants to be quickly brought in line on emissions, eliminate ‘grandfathered’ plants, and the moutaintop removal mining. What I don’t want is billions spent on power that will cost much more than it’s worth in any real benefits.

And regarding global oil reserves, I lean much more towards @Docnick 's comments. 30 years ago, when I began my career as a petroleum engineer, I looked at a table of the US’s largest oil fields. Aside from Alaska they were all shown as more than 90% depleted, even worse in Texas. I wondered if I had gotten into the wrong industry. Fast forward to today: The oil production in the US is going up, US energy use is dropping, and those areas in Texas thought on their last legs are seeing an explosion of drilling in ‘dead’ fields with new technology producing millions of barrels of new oil.

Amazing.

Texases,Dr.Gold was right then?-Kevin

@jersey_jane,

Actually, I don’t worry about Mother Earth as much as I worry about the human race. Mother will go on just fine once human beings become extinct. In fact, a lack of human beings will make Mother Earth healthier.