Idiots on road

Do you think I was a rude driver in this case?

Three-way T-shaped neighborhood intersection, 25 mph limit. I was driving from right to left along the horizontal (top) part of the “T”, which had no stop signs in either direction. An SUV was trying to enter the intersection & turn left from the vertical part of the “T”. The SUV had a stop sign. The SUV driver slowed down, saw me approaching the intersection just 20 feet away, but attempted to pull out and turn left in front of me. I veered all the way to the right, and got past the SUV by driving on the shoulder. The SUV driver blared their horn at me. In this case I believed I was in the right, and if anybody should be blaring their horn, it was me.

3 Likes

I don’t. And I think you did fine. Have to think in the back of your head if the other guy understood the intersection. But once you (he) blares their horn, they kind of make their selves the bad guy. IMO. You gotta be right if you blare the horn!

3 Likes

I got it twice as well and seem fine although there may be long-term effects we don’t understand. My taste and smell took about a year to come back after the second bout. I was eligible for vaccination after that and went for it.

It does seem like you run into more idiots in stores, more idiots calling to inquire about your services, and of course more idiots on the road since this pandemic began. It just seems like people have lost their ability to think. I agree this all started before the pandemic but it has gotten worse.

One way it benefits me is that people are paying me to cleanup the mess caused by their inability to recognize OBVIOUS online scams. It has been like money falling from the sky for me but for all the wrong reasons.

In regards to the slow driving that my girlfriend was cussing, I replied to her “Don’t worry. This person is so clueless they will probably be paying me to repair the damage caused by an online scam in short order!” I am also an avid kayaker. My girlfriend no longer asks how much the kayak cost but how many scams did you have to fix to pay for it? Again, it is like people have completely lost the ability to think, no matter if it relates to driving, scams, or anything else.

1 Like

Speaking of Idiots on the road, today I observed a middle-aged guy who was driving a 2022 Subaru BRZ. Most likely, this is his Middle Age Crisis car. :smirk:

Anyway… before he was able to leave the shopping center where both he and I were located, I saw him come extremely close to being hit by 5 vehicles–including mine. I don’t know whether his eyesight is really bad, or whether he has a death wish, or… ??, but because of his habit of pulling out directly into the path of cross traffic, he very narrowly missed being T-boned by all of the other vehicles. After he left the shopping center, he continued to drive like an a-hole.

Something tells me that he isn’t going to have that nice new sports car for very long.

1 Like

Maybe it was a rental??? I have seen this with these idiots. It is either a nice car like this or something all beat to hell and well on its way to the scrapyard.

One a while back almost caused me to get into an accident and it was a complete beater minivan with 3 smashed in corners. The corner that would have hit me was the only one that wasn’t smashed in so I figured they wanted all of their car to be matching!

1 Like

I used to see that for some reason it was usually a Volvo, cars lining up behind them in the left lane. They think they are leading the pack but they are just holding up traffic.

I can’t seem to connect that type of dangerous and illegal behavior with any specific make of car, but I can connect it to specific states. Based on my observations over many decades, I estimate that ~60% of the left lane blockers have NY plates, and that ~40% of them have PA plates.

1 Like

I think that would explain why I see road crews today working in front of a special vehicle that has a large crumple zone in the back. Unfortunately police officers stopped on side of road probably won’t have that behind them! https://spasafetysystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/tma-work-zone-safety-portable-positive-protection.png

In Minneapolis a few years ago someone plowed into one of those special protection units. Can’t remember if it was the truck or trailer with those air barrels on

I used to encounter a Prius driver on the freeway quite often. Straw hat, nose in the air, driving below the limit. Start to pass him and he’d speed up. I pegged him for teaching a night class at the local college. Yes, stereotypes are fun.

1 Like

lota volvos in NY maybe? I really think it has something to do with the rep of Volvos as being ‘safe’. Bad driver has a couple of accidents and maybe a ‘safe’ car looks very appealing. I think Sub arus are getting that ‘safe’ rep now, I don’t drive enough on the hiway these days to have noticed.

My safety feature is myself. Never had an air bag go off or used a crumple zone. Would have been nice to have a side air bag in my 59 vw but the lack of a seat belt enabled me to slide across the seat when the side was crushed in. Guess I’m in a bad mood today

Unfortunately most cars today don’t have that feature. :smiley:

1 Like

The trouble with idiots on the road or otherwise is, they cleverly disguise themselves as normal looking people. I think the Bill Engvall idea of personal signs should be adopted at least nation wide if not world wide.

1 Like

I noticed that rude driving practice was a lot more common in Colorado than Calif. Not sure why though.

I think LEO’s in California are more likely to deal with drivers obstructing the flow of traffic. In Florida, LEO’s just pass on the right.

It might depend on local traffic laws. Some states allow passing in the right and other only allow passing on the left.