Identifying an Antique

How do I identify an antique car (just the shell) that’s up in my woods? Is there someplace I can upload a picture? A friend thought it might be a 1935 Oldsmobile, but it doesn’t look like any of the photos I’ve seen online. I’m thinking about using it for a planter, unless there’s someone who might be interesting in it. Thanks!

Try spending some time at Barnes & Nobles Bookstore brousing through antiqe automobile reference books.

Try looking on Ebay motors. They have loads cars in all sorts of disrepair.

Hemmings Motor News publishes a magazine called Hemmings Classic Car (I am a charter subscriber!), and this is undoubtedly your best source for information of this sort.

Each month, they publish photographs in their Lost & Found column of antique and classic vehicles that are difficult to identify. And, invariably, within a month or two, readers will give definitive information about the car in question.

You can submit your car photograph and your personal information to them via US Mail at:

Lost & Found
c/o Hemmings Classic Car
P.O. Box 196
Bennington, VT 05201

OR, you can submit your photograph and personal information to them at:

dstrohl@hemmings.com

If you’ve already taken pictures of the vehicle, you can upload them to a free image hosting site such as photobucket or imageshack

Well, if there is someone in it that would be interesting. But yes, someone will be interested in it. I think it would make an awefully expensive planter. Your best reference would be on-line sources for identification. In fact, that is where most antique restorations start: from an old hull found in the woods or in the corner of a barn.

“I’m thinking about using it for a planter, unless there’s someone who might be interesting in it”

Well, Jimmy Hoffa would be interesting. Do you think that he might be in it?

;-))

Respond to this message and click on the “Attach File” button in the lower left corner of the yellow border.

Thanks for your help!

Ha! I hadn’t realized I wrote “interesting” rather than “interested.” Still, thanks for the chuckles!

It could be an Oldsmobile, or a Pontiac, or a Chevy or…

Seriously, like the police department whose toilet was stolen, there is really nothing to go on here–or at least not much.

Although it will take a bit of time to get an answer, I strongly suggest that you submit this photo to Hemmings Classic Car, as I suggested in my earlier post.

From the picture, it appears to me to be a General Motors car from the mid 1930’s. GM cars had one piece rear windows, while most other cars had split rear windows.

Thanks, VDCDriver,
I’m in touch with Dave at Hemmings. I think we might be able to figure this out if I send him some closeups.
Meanwhile, “Seriously, like the police department whose toilet was stolen, there is really nothing to go on here…” you guys just crack me up!