Id like to know what this is


On my 97 Dodge Ram, 360 V8, I have my PCV valve on one valve cover and on the other valve cover I have something that I think is similar, but not sure. Its is much larger than the PCV Valve and it is about the size of the bottom of a coffee mug. It has a vacuum hose that runs from it to my air cleaner. Do you know what this is called and does it do the same job as the PCV Valve? Or similar?

Another thing I want to point out is that it is quite plugged up with crud. I took some fuel injector cleaner and sprayed some in it, shook it up, and poured it out. It seemed to clean it out quite a bit and I can actually see inside of it. Was this a bad idea or good idea?


The PCV valve is in one valve cover to draw out any oil smoke and run it through the combustion process. The other line provides filtered air to the engine to make up for air drawn out by the PCV valve.


Okay. Great. Much appreciated. So I take it that was a good thing that I cleaned it out. I couldn’t even blow through it before I cleaned it out. Maybe I should consider getting a new one?


You don’t need a new one, just keep this one clear.