I was super low on oil in my engine

So I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder engine, with around 130,000 miles even though I think that number is way off and actually has closer to 300,000 but that’s for another time. So I went and checked my oil and noticed I was way below where it was way below the fill line. So I went and got one quart of oil and it’s still a tad bit below the fill line. I heard from 2 mechanics that these cars tend to burn through oil pretty quick so always keep an eye out. I changed my oil on may 25th. So not even 3 months ago yet. I don’t really drive too much that often. And I’m about a little over 1,000 miles away from my next oil change. Do you guys think I should change it now or wait a little longer seeing I just topped wit off with a qt of oil?

1 Like

Hard to say if it would make a practical diff to have all fresh oil right now or in a few weeks. But if you are worried about it and can do it now, do an oil change now. Carry an extra quart or two in the car, check it more often than you have been, and top it up whenever it’s down.

Any sign of leaks?

3 Likes

Any high mileage engine will use oil. As much as a quart every 1000 miles. Your 300k engine has a lot of miles on it. Check your oil level at least fuel stop and add as needed to get to that full mark. Change it about every 3 to 5000 miles even though you may add as much as 3 to 5 quarts in that time.

Never let your oil level get that low again. You will kill the engine if you don’t stay on top of this.

And start saving for a newer car.

4 Likes

About 15 years ago I had a situation develop where I was very busy w/my job, neglected my poor Corolla. One day I noticed the oil warning light turn on at a stop sign. Ooops! No oil on dipstick showing at all. Turned out I was down about 1 1/2 quarts out of 3.4 quarts ( full). Topped the oil off, no engine damage. Changed oil and filter at the normal mileage interval, around 5,000 miles.

Later discovered the culprit for the oil loss was a leaking valve cover gasket.

A tad bit below the fill line or the full line. Generally if you can see any oil on the dipstick at all, and you add a quart, it will take it over the fill line but still be a little below the full line.

BTW, these engines do NOT burn through oil pretty quickly. But they do develop leaks that can cause them to loose oil at a pretty good clip. Some of the leaks occur under the timing cover and are had to detect. The O ring around the shaft housing of the distributor is a common issue and it does double damage by leaking oil onto one of the heater hoses, softening it and causing it to leak coolant suddenly, Real bad for the engine if it overheats.

If you are suddenly loosing oil, you may want to look for the leaks first.

1 Like

@shanonia no I haven’t noticed any leaks except for a few wet spots under the car but pretty mild. A couple drops of liquid(not sure what liquid it is though).

@keith well when I check there was little a dot at the bottom of the dip stick. And I meant like the full line, I think. YouTube showed me the oil should be right between the 2 dots and mines was literally all the way on the bottom of the dip stick just a dot. Put one quart in and I’m slightly a smidge above the first dot now. Im gonna check again in the morning.

Hi Mustangman:
I’m curious why you advocate doing this. I’ve seen you share this advice before and I don’t follow it.

If you’re adding a quart every 750-1000 miles to an engine because it’s leaking and/or burning it, then what the motivation to change it more often than the manufacture’s recommendations?

What do you see happening that would necessitate changing it sooner?
Thanks.

The ring seal is compromised so more combustion gasses get blown into the oil to contaminate it.

3 Likes

Also whatever (sludge) is in the bottom of the pan (heavy crap settles to the bottom) will just start to build up more and more until it starts affecting the oil flow to/through the oil pick up tube, so better to drain the bad stuff out, plus you still need to change your oil filter… I’ve seen some nasty stuff settle in the bottom of an oil pan over the years…

2 Likes

Even when my car was leaking a quart a week, I still did regular oil changes until I replaced the pan gasket. Even at current highly inflated oil prices, it is cheap compared to engine damage. I just don’t understand the idea of scrimping on oil. Even at 520,000 miles, my engine did not use oil so everyone can do what they want to save a couple dollars on oil, but not me.

1 Like

RE: Changing oil as often or more often than recommended when adding a quart or more every 1K miles.

Thanks for sharing your input. I guess I look at it differently.

• If the oil burning is more due to clogged oil rings than worn compression rings, then oil contaimination shouldn’t necessarily increase.

• But even if there is blow-by from worn compression rings, by the time you’ve hit 5000 on an oil change, you’ve already added 5 or more quarts of fresh oil. This becomes subjective and every case will be slightly different. The only way to really know if an oil change is needed is to get it tested.

• If the oil loss is from leaking, then no risk of increased sump contamination.

• Often times when a vehicle gets to this condition, it has seen better days, and the owner often just wants to “ride it out”.

Thanks for sharing your views.

@JoeMario how would I get it tested? You mean like a diagnostic test?

Do it now and you know it is full and keep a close eye on it to see if it actually burning oil . .

1 Like

Yep, before anything else I’d be checking the oil at each fillup and finding out how many miles it takes to use a quart. You could also test the oil (Blackstone is the company, I think) but I wouldn’t know what to do with the results. Big question right now is miles/quart.

1 Like

Yeah $30 for a lab test or $25 to change oil. The instructions on the test kit though say to take the sample midway in a drain. So you either dump the oil while getting the sample or dump the oil into a clean container and add it back in again. I took a sample once just to see what it said and have found no reason to do it again.

1 Like

Yes. A diagnostic test.

1 Like

My concern is if abrasive particulates are being selectively left behind as the oil finds its way, through tight clearances, into the combustion chamber.
In that case the oil needs to be changed at least as often as in a non-burner.

So 12 days later and I already lost some oil. My mechanic is on vacation so I’m going to take it to him when he gets back. I wonder if it’s an oil ring or something in that nature at all because honestly I don’t notice any leaks. I will say this, my power steering loses some liquid every few weeks too but not a ton. I’m just gonna see what the guy says and might just have to let this car go. Like someone said start thinking about a new car

Newer cars like yours tend to use more oil than older versions, b/c manufacturers are doing everything possible to improve their product’s mpg ratings, thinner, less viscous oils etc. Do you know yet how many miles you are getting per quart of oil loss? If at least 750 miles per quart, suggest to just check the oil level and top it off as needed, replace oil and filter at least as frequently as recommended by the manufacture’s schedule, and otherwise drive on.