İ Want to Buy An El Camino But I'm Not Sure. Help?

Your son is South and east of the Rye fire, and that is great news. The fires are driven by the desert winds and move from east to west. If you look at a map of the evacuation are for the Rye fire, is is a strip South and west of the current fire location. It’s moving away from Santa Clarita.

1 Like

Well, I’m new here. But I vote GTO. I don’t know if it’s “better”. But the El Camino I never liked personally. Not quite a car, not a truck. People with Mullets and sleeveless shirts drive them. Do they have Mullets in Turkey?

Haha! Good luck with whatever you decide, OP. Check the car out, crawl under it, and drive it on a long test drive or two before you buy anything.

1 Like

Not funny , and that attempt at humor is probably wasted on a Turkish citizen .

2 Likes

Was this offensive to you because you own a Mullet or an ElCo?

1 Like

There are several El Caminos being driven here

NONE of the owners have Mullets OR sleeveless shirts

I don’t even know where you got that idea . . . from some movie, perhaps?

1 Like

I wasn’t being serious. Just picking at El Camino’s, no offense meant.

I’m just jealous because my daily driver is a Lesabre and I really need a truck.

Plus I’m losing a little hair, so I’m jealous of the Mullet guys.

Sleeveless shirts, meh, I’ve done that myself.

1 Like

The LeSabre is a nice car, nicer car than most of my colleagues drive

As for your other discussion, how is it that you didn’t get Toyota to foot some of the bill for that catalytic converter . . . ?

1 Like

I didn’t, but I didn’t fight hard. I was just over 80k miles, and the emissions warranty ran out at 80k. Yay.

I did find the oem cat online $200 or so cheaper than what the dealer wanted. I let the dealer install it. $300 for the install. I didn’t think that was terrible since the cat is built into the exhaust manifold and the one that failed was squeezed between the engine and firewall. Considered doing it myself, but my wife is not a patient woman lol.

Oh, and I demanded the old cat back and sold it for $50.

2 Likes

I still want an El Camino, 1959 with Tri-Power 348! But, I am not Jeff Dunham or Jay Leno🤢

1 Like

Thanks for the reply . . .

I asked because you only mentioned what mileage your Highlander currently had, not the mileage at which the cat failed

Sounds like you did okay :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Right…If I had 50K I would buy a good certified used Tesla–little in way of maintenance, popular in Seattle area, lots of charging stations, and reliability as well.

THAT is my idea of a "muscle car.’

And it is safe also!

1 Like

If you’re willing to buy a 40-50 year old classic muscle car, I thought a 10-15 year old muscle car might be satisfying, and considerably less than $50,000.

1 Like

It is all a matter of tastes, desires, and wants. If had the cash I would want, among many other vehicles, a 51 or 52 Studebaker Commander Starlight or convertible. Classic cars are for fun and shows, not daily drivers.

As far as the OP, when you get to Washington just Google the various cars you want. You will be directed to various sites. GTOs and El Camino will be out there in all forms from nearly junk to fully restored.
Then there are classic car auction, some go for much more than I would pay to way less than I think they are worth.

It is like art. Would I pay millions for a Van Gogh, NO. I would get a print.
To each their own.

1 Like

I’d have the same hard time deciding, but the first place I’d turn to honestly if I were seriously in the market in the Seattle area is a place called Drager’s which has been around since about 1950. https://www.dragers.com

There are a handful of 60’s to early 70’s El Camino’s on the market in the northwest with the most expensive one so far at around $40,000 at a dealer in Bellevue that according to them “this car sounds mean”

1 Like

Thank you very much for all of your answers guys. I stay offline for a few days so i cant look at the forum.İ decided to buy an 69 el camino i found it on the GatewayClassics.com I’m happy because there are so many answers, and especially for a foreign person in America. You made me happy.

I know that America and Turkey are not as good as the government, because syrians and erdogan(our bad managing president). But turkish people have a respect and love for american people.

I am glad to hear there is respect and love for american people, Shiny car, looks good, my 3 thoughts, are there seat belts, and if I were to do aftermarket seatsI would do something with a headrest, not sure if it is a refab or new seat, a lot of upgrades but why no indicator on the Batt gauge, not stock but if you enjoy it that is all that matters

I clicked on the link for Gateway Classics and it took me to Hertz.

Same here, took me to Hertz.
Went to the Gateway site, found 3 1969s.
Just one reminder, they sell cars on consignment. There might be things the owner did not disclose to Gateway.

I have been to their Orlando Showroom just to look around. Staff was friendly and let me look around at my leisure. No hassle, no sales pitch.

Is it that blue SS-396 with the black vinyl roof? Super sweet ride, and in cherry condition. You probably can drive it every day. Make sure you can use ethanol treated, unleaded gasoline (E10) without problems.