I shouldn't have stopped

I appreciate the suggestion, but I feel no sense of obligation to try to disprove what amounts to a mere assumption that what you saw on Google Earth is a representative sample of the whole.

:grin:

http://www.gardenbaja.com/gardenhaus/images/slides/Gardenhaus_banner_05.jpg

I don’t know about the 99%, but I have to agree there are a large number of iron gates and walls surrounding private properties. During a recent trip to San Antonio, Corpus Christi and other places in Texas and new Mexico, I was amazed to see it. Don’t know if this is a "“cultural” thing or solely to prevent crime.

Edit: Many actually looked very nice and added a sense of safety. I don’t have a problem with that.

Looks like a wall behind that condominio

Plus they probably have 24/7 armed security.

The local news reported several times over 2 days that a University of Oregon (I have driven many times on the campus) dormitory is being renamed because Professor Dunn was a member of the KKK about a century ago. They had decided to name the building for another faculty member of the same era who was a “slavery advocate”. Huh! The correct word was probably “abolitionist”. LOL!

I am in MD. My security is provided by Sig Sauer

I thought guns were illegal in MD or is that New York? Just to stay off topic, I was sitting in the dental office a while back while the receptionist was talking to the UPS guy about an averted attack. After he left she told me that last winter a guy had attempted to accost her in the Walmart parking lot. But she said she pulled out her Sig and the guy ran away. (No arrest because when the police went to the guy’s house, he had a brother that looked exactly the same.) At any rate she said her dad taught her how to shoot and she said you wouldn’t believe all the women at the gun range who are CCP holders. I feel very safe going to that dentist and there are no bars on the window.

Among my other hats, I was also involved in security at work. We did the cameras and electronic access and everything but finally I just said there is no point doing any more because all they have to do is break a window to get in. So I don’t know about the 99% either, but the greater the risk, the more you have to worry about perimeter control. Walls and bars are very helpful. North of the border, as you travel through higher risk areas, there are lots of bars on the windows and expandable gates.

I used to have to drive in some bad neighborhoods in Chicago, thinking iron bars for car windows!

1 Like

that’s my kind of lady!

Guns are legal in MD, but very restricted when it comes to long guns. CCP’s take an “act of Congress” to obtain.

Cops never know who they are pulling over. Most are friendly (or maybe not so friendly, but at least not dangerous) drivers. But there’s always that one who feels persecuted, hates cops, or is running/hiding from the law. And all those scenarios go through a cop’s mind as he approaches your car. He has no clue who you are. So in addition to wentwest’s suggestion above, I might add that it will ease your cop’s mind if you put your hands on the steering wheel where he can see them when he approaches your car. Once he sees that you’re not reaching for a gun or doing something else that might end up badly for him, you can relax and take your hands off the wheel. Also, until you build a moment of trust, don’t make any sudden moves.

Put yourself in his place. He has no idea who you are and he only wants to do his job and go home to his family every night, just like we all do.

1 Like

Every traffic stop for a policeman could be a dangerous situation, been stopped a few times, used to walk back to the police car and that worked well in the past, but now ie last stop maybe 10 years ago is stay in the vehicle on the bullhorn, never been asked or told to keep my hands on the steering wheel, seems so submissive, if they ask me to I will, 

Sorry for going OT again but it must have been 15 years ago our local legislator who happened to be one of our Cub Scout mothers and an avid hunter, got the law in Minnesota changed to a “shall issue” permit law unless the local Sheriff could find a reason not to. People went nuts and all the things were said that they said in New York and all the progressives were fearful and angry. What happened is absolutely nothing except people able to protect themselves. I think there has only been one or two permit holders that has ever used it unreasonably. That’s the problem in England and Australia that self defense is not an allowed reason.

I doubt that even the most cautious officer would ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel unless he had reason to believe that you posed a risk to his well-being. I don’t get pulled over very often, but when I do, I just do it on my own. As soon as I allow the cop to see my hands, I feel comfortable taking them off the wheel and relaxing. It doesn’t feel at all submissive to me, since I opt to do it on my own.

The murder rate in the USA is almost 4X higher than England or Australia. No mass shootings in Australia since passage of gun control laws 20 yrs ago.

If guns make us safer, then with 300+ million guns in the USA everyone should feel safe.:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I wish they would offer free target practice training so less innocent bystanders get hurt in shootings.

1 Like

I don’t think gang members spend much time at the range, nor do I think most have permits.

1 Like

I do feel safer!

When tilting their pistols and revolvers sideways in order to be “cool” they tend to hit mostly unoccupied vehicles and buildings. If they somehow happen to hit and kill another gangbanger/thug win win!

3 Likes