I prefer the old way

Same person, years apart :rofl: -

Capture55

3 Likes

I always liked the 1996-2000 Dodge Caravan, and the red paint with dark gray bumpers is my favorite color combination. Something about the styling of this model is timeless.

1 Like

Its a shoebox on wheels!

1 Like

Even a minivan can have good (and bad) styling.

1000+ HP Odyssey …

1996 dodge caravan. srt4 engine with 72 mm turbonetics, 4’ exhaust, auto trans.

I don’t think the turbo 4 available in the Caravan could produce burnouts. Maybe that one was modified.

2 Likes

I am fairly certain that the turbocharged Caravans were automatic only, and the 3-speed automatic would not allow for this. The NA 4-cylinder could be had with a 5-speed stick, though those were very rare. On the late 80’s to late 90’s Caravan, the 3.0L V-6 and 3-speed automatic was the best combination.

The 3.3 and 3.8L engines had way less problems, only real problem was the exhaust manifold leaks (warp)…
The Mitsubishi 3.0L engine had major problems with the fuel pressure regulator leaking fuel all over the top of the engine, plus the peanut lifters collapsed and would tick bad and back then was pretty much a dealer item at $12.00 each… Plus they would dropped the exhaust valve guides (slide down in the head) and the valve stem seals would no longer be on them and the engine would smoke… The FIX for it was to cut a ring at the top of the valve guide and install a snap ring to keep them from falling again… I remember dropping the down pipe and being able to look right at the guides hanging down lower then they should have been… Took about 5 minutes to check to see if the firewall side of the engine had dropped the valves…

1 Like

Ya think… lol
It had 35 PSI of boost…

1 Like

I had a 1995 Caravan with the 3.0L Mitsubishi engine/3-speed automatic, ran it all the way to 209,000 miles when it was destroyed in an accident. Before that, it ran well with no engine or transmission problems. It is correct that the early years of this motor had problems, but those were certainly solved by the early 90’s.

Yeah in 93 the valve guides were redesigned to not drop down, causing skeeter-killing spy smokescreens. Some reported that this change was suggested by Chrysler to solve the largest durability issue with the engines.

Oddysey has a Rolls Royce grill and retardo wagon-wheel rims! lol

That is not a grill, it is the intercooler for the turbo…

Still, it looks like it got yanked off a Royce! lol

The owner of Bisimoto Engineering built the Honda and is also one of the host of Motor MythBusters… He has done some crazy stuff with turbos…

Reminded me of the advertisements in the ‘60s for kits to put a 140 HP Corvair engine in a VW van.

That’s the same van, thanks for sharing the vid. I wonder why the soap numerals on the side glass…just got back from track day perhaps?

How many runs before blowing the engine? That much boost can’t be good for an otherwise stock engine.

Not sure about the numbers… May have been a burn out contest or something, I can’t find any info on track times other then it takes 13 seconds to spool up, so it would never be able to spool up at the track being timed out at 7 seconds (depending on track/starter rules)… The other guy stages and you take 13 seconds to light your bulbs might burn them down… I think it was more of a watch this then a racer cause you no spinning ain’t winning…
But if you can find any runs I would love to see them…

Don’t know what has been done to the engine, at the very least the rings have to be opened up a lot and most likely a studded block (possible 1/2 filled) rods and pistons, O-ring the block deck…

But now a days 1200-1500 Dailey Drivers are the norm…
Old school N/A guys like me are fast for back in the day but slow in todays boosted standard…