I no longer stop completely for Stop Signs, and I turn left on red

@capriracer

The roads I talk about are all 2 lane undivided highways. Im not a left lane hog, but when its a 2 lane road and its 55mph limit and Im going 62, I feel the people behind me can suck it. What if someone wants to go 85? Am I obligated to go 85 to keep them happy?

I know Crown Audio was manufactured in Elkhart IN. For years they were the standard in professional amplifiers. Not too sure how well they are received since they got bought out by Harmon International a while back.

As for TV an morality. TV does NOT dictate societies morality. It’s a reflection of it.

Years ago, I stopped at a red light, and the guy behind me rearended me.

Did I do something wrong by stopping at the red light?

If I understand this correctly, some of you guys think I should have ran that red light

And then neither of our cars would have been bashed up

I can’t speak for anybody else, but I’m going to continue stopping at red lights and stop signs

If that makes me some kind of moron, then so be it

My quality of life isn’t going to be greatly diminished if I sit at that red light and have to wait a few minutes

Years ago, I stopped at a red light, and the guy behind me rearended me.

I’ve had 3 accidents in my life. Twice I was rear-ended while stopped at a stop-light.

@db4690

That is a great analogy. I have to say I do believe its the right thing to do to stop at the traffic control devices, and I usually do. I just got to the point that its gotten so bad around here that I figured I might as well start breaking the traffic laws that I want too.

I don’t blow every stop sign or turn on every red, just some. Not because im in a hurry, its just cause I can give a rip around here anymore.

Yesterday I went to Indianapolis and noted that I got tailgated only once and the driver had some driving skill.

There is someone here on this board that says I am the problem, I have asked him how fast i should go and he never responds. I already compromise by going 7-8 over. I still get tailgated. At 7-8 over you will absolutely NOT get a ticket or even stopped. The minimum it takes to get pulled over is at least 10 over and that’s rare.

Around here you have to be going at least 15 over on the highway to get pulled over

@db4690

That sounds reasonable for the interstate and is probably similar here, There is a flat open stretch of I-70 where there is absolutely no police enforcement and I had the prius up to top speed to see what it would do.

The roads I am talking about are 2 lane rural highways, some you can go 65 on safely and some have blind hills, blind driveways, blind turns. They are 55 for a reason.

People also burn their trash, if you re roof your house by yourself what do you do with the old shingles? Burn em. Old tires? Burn em.

If you don’t want to burn your trash you can just dump it on your property.

I have called the county sheriff about some really big nasty illegal burns and I got told to call IDEM.

The police around here are pretty much useless. Its like stepping back into the 60’s or 70’s here.

I noticed 2 big changes yesterday when I took a trip to Columbus.

First, just outside of Delaware, on 36/37, they changed the speed limit. For the longest time, the stretch of 36/37 outside of Delaware(Sunbury road) going to I-71 has been 50mph. It’s open road 2 lanes each direction with a grass divider inbetween. Even though the speed limit was 50, very few obeyed that limit; 60 was what traffic would normally do.
The change I noticed when I took my trip yesterday was that they had changed the speed limit on that stretch of road to 60mph. I done a double take when I noticed the sign and was more than happy to obey the new limit.

Second, I didn’t notice it going down, but I did see the sign on I-71 north where they raised the speed limit to 70mph. This was just outside of Polaris. I knew the speed limit from Mt. Gilead on I-71 was 70mph, but thought most other areas was 65.
Why didn’t I notice the speed limit signs? Because I was paying more attention to the traffic I was in. My satnav alerted me to the exit(s) I need to get off on so I could make my way across the lanes. Talking to a passenger that is, for lack of a better term, scared s#!7l3$$, of freeway travel doesn’t help much either.

@Rick,what is top end on that Prius? Just curious,I’ve never been held up on a grade by one,Uh ten or less over will get you a ticket by some over zealous bureaucrats(cops) who love to harvest your hard earned money,I know,I know,you were breaking the law,the officer was just doing his job(a big comfort in the pen) Guess what most of the Nazis were just following orders too.
The first and only speeding ticket I ever received was from an over zealous statetrooper(who was out of his area(fishing its called) and it was accidental I honestly didn’t know the truck was going 65 mph on this nice stretch of road,(The Wife was Bellyaching and the Kid had to go to the bathroom real urgently,so I guess I was in a hurry-I hope this Officer is a fan of this Forum and reads this( A Prius is on my future vehicle consideration list)-Kevin

@kmccune

It topped out around 102. I must clarify, Its a Prius V which is heavier and slower than the regular prius. Handled decent at that speed, but a little shaky. It was totally solid until 90.

The V has alot of room in the back, I would highly recommend it. Just don’t hit a skunk.

I always stop at a red light but things can cut both ways. I’ve been whacked from behind while sitting stationary and a few times I would have been creamed if I had hit the brakes to stop on a light that was about to go red.
A dentist I used to see was killed at a traffic light one night when a car rammed his three-wheeler motorcycle from behind. The initial impact did not kill him; it was being shoved into cross-traffic that did it.

Cops are seldom seen around my place. They usually make some visibility swings (conveniently right before elections for sheriff) or if a call comes in about some crackheads trying to break into anhydrous ammonia tanks but that’s about it.

@ok4450

Well Its sad that there is no police presence where you live either, but it makes me feel glad im not alone.

Most people complain that theres too much police presence where they live, and I could see that being bad as well, but try no police… There has to be a happy medium.

For myself I’m very happy with the police and sheriff. I know the sheriff and he runs a tight ship. The police are also very helpful. Our roofers got delayed and we had to leave the state for our grandson’s birth before they finished that day. So the roofers needed to make sure my garage was locked up etc. I called the police from Indiana at about 10 that night and just asked them to double check that the house was secure. No problem at all. Within 5 minutes I got a call back from the officer on site saying everything was fine.

thanks Rick-around here we dont need half the law enforcement we have,especially the State Troopers,the Deputys can now run radar for the Tax collection purposes(littering really bugs me,a lot of the people that litter are real fastidous about their own “nests”-Kevin

I think we might have gotten one city cop back after we laid off almost half of them a year or two ago. Can’t recall how many county sheriffs we have, though.
Rarely ever see any cops around here anymore, and you really only hear about the drug busts they make around town.

After taking a few days off from looking at this thread, I decided to come back for another look.
All I can say is that the OP’s attitude seems to be that the solution to being placed in the midst of a lot of dangerous drivers is to drive less defensively.

Maybe it’s just me, but that attitude seems…less than smart.

@bscar2

“I think we might have gotten one city cop back after we laid off almost half of them over a year ago.”

Why were they laid off?

Thirty or forty years ago, our local newspaper printed a guest article by a Viet Nam refugee. We felt it was a bit bizarre. Some tale about a king who put an entry way into his party house with rare jewels tacked on the wall. And, he ruled that anyone who didn’t steal jewels was not suited for government work. We had some discussion, and concluded the writer was a product of a corrupt nation.

Now, years later, on this board we read about bad drivers who make it inconvenient for those wishing to break the speed limits, by, gasp, choke, tremble, obeying the speed limit. How low can a person get? Woe; agony; and despair. What will these bad drivers think of next?

A while back I had a used Crown Vic police car for my personal transportation. At that time there were still dozens of them in use by various law enforcement agencies in the area. The car had no police markings, but still had the black steel wheels,black grille and spotlight. If I drove that car on the interstate at the speed limit, very few cars would pass it. I could look in the mirror and see half a mile of traffic backed up behind me in the first five miles. I usually drive at 5-7 over the limit. Nine over WILL get you a ticket. 5-7 over in that in that Crown Vic still backed up traffic, but not to that extent.

It was fun to see the reactions of some drivers whose hearts had just leaped to their throats when they KNEW they were about to get a ticket. One guy came down off of an on ramp at probably 20 MPH over the 60 MPH limit, and dodged other traffic for the center lane of three. I was in the inside lane. As he pulled in ahead of me in the center lane he must have glanced in his mirror. He almost skidded to get slowed down to nearer the limit.