I need to tips for long term storage of a brand new caliper

Long story short: the problem I was experiencing turned out not to be the caliper itself but rather the one of the two caliper bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle fell out (leaving only the top bolt in place.)

In any case, I already ordered a brand new caliper from RockAuto and it’s been delivered. Instead of returning it, I think I’ll just store it in the closet.

My concern is that if the caliper piston rust, it will likely seize and well the caliper is no good then.

It was shipped with anti corrosion spray on it and may have come in a plastic bag. If not, spray it with WD-40 and put it in a sealed plastic bag. Done.

2 Likes

The piston boot and plugs in the bleeder hole and brake line port should keep the internal working parts free from moisture for quite a while.

If it’s in the original packaging I wouldn’t do anything. That’s how it would sit on the shelf at a warehouse, maybe for years.

1 Like

The bore and seals are probably coated with a brake fluid compatible grease. Long ago, caliper rebuild kits came with a tube.

Great, thanks. The bag that the caliper came wrapped in has been torn in a few spots thus allowing air inside (it was probably never a true vacuum to begin with.)

What I will do is leave it as is, but also wrap it in a few extra bags, squeezing as much air out as possible.

Thanks.

Yup…what they said…

Any concern about moisture/rust? If so, take out the bleeder and put the whole works in an electric oven at 125F for an hour or so. Then seal it in a thick plastic bag.

Yeah just leave in the box. Likely has one of those moisture packets in there too.

Some years ago my barber had like a 39 Plymouth or so and needed a water pump for it. Couldn’t find one but then checked with an old place in town that had been there for Eons and sure enough the guy had a brand new pump in stock on the shelf. Still in original box and had done fine for the 60-70 years it had been in stock. I don’t remember if he paid in today’s dollars or the likely $1.50 price from that era. The old guy sold everything a few years later and retired and they turned the place into a dry cleaners.