I need to be informed before seeking repair -please help and read all

I recently purchased a 2002 Chrysler Sebring that has a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty that reads: Systems Covered: Engine:Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts; Cylinder Head Assemblies; Head Gaskets; Timing Case,Chain, Gears, Belt and Sprockets; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pump; Water Pump; Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Parts; Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator. Transmission Case and all Internal Parts; Torque Converter; Drive Plate; Flex Plate; Fly Wheel; Bell Housing; Transaxle Case or Rear Axle Housing and all Internal Parts; Drive Shaft and Axle Shaft Assemblies and their Housings; Axle Shaft Bearings; Drive Shaft Center Bearings; CV Joints; Boot; Universal Joints and Yolks. Four Wheel Drive/All Wheel Drive; Transfer Case/Power Transfer Unit and all Internal Parts; Front and Rear Axle Assemblies; Axle Shafts; Axle Shaft Bearings; Drive Shaft Assemblies; Universal Joints and Yokes; Viscous Coupler Assembly. (I know not all of this is pertinent but I put it in as is).

I was told by my mechanic that both my front ball joints are bad in this car. I am pretty sure this is covered but I want to make sure it is covered by my warranty and how to I approach the dealership regarding getting this repaired and sound like I know what I am talking about and understand my warranty. Please get back to me soon as this is time sensitive.

It looks like you have a Power Train warranty only. The parts that transmit power are all covered. Ball joints hold up the car; they do not transmit power. You can try to have it covered as a goodwill gesture, but these warranties have enough weasel words in them to be worth very little.

Years ago with Chrysler’s 5 year 50,000 mile warranty the front end (and ball joints) was covered as well.

Time to call and talk to whomever administers this warranty and get a commitment from them one way or the other. I don’t see specific mention of suspension parts. I see CV joints but not ball joints and tie rods mentioned. I would also get a firm estimate from your mechanic before you talk to the warranty administrator. It is possible that your mechanic’s costs for parts and labor can be less than the cost-sharing provided under your warranty.

Who is providing this warranty? If it’s a typical used car dealer warranty then it’s unlikely to be covered. I agree with Docnick that this sounds like nothing more than a basic Power Train warranty and you’re out of luck.

If you bought the used car from a new car dealer then it’s up to the dealer as to whether they would good will warranty this for you. Likely not.
This is also why it’s important to perform a thorough inspection on a used car purchase.

Yep, I agree. It appears you have a power train warrenty only that covers engine, transmission, and related drive parts. Suspension would not be included.

Who does your warranty allow to diagnois,repair,and submit claims?Ask the Dealership how a failure such as ball joints escaped their used car inspection.The dealer told you that the car passed their used car inspection didnt he.Try to get the dealer to make this repair on the grounds that it was missed on his used car inspection,your powertrain warranty is of no help.Now be nice…

I have been wondering the same darn thing-how could it be missed.
Used buyers guide notes everything checks out. This guide is dated the same day of purchase. I would think that this shows that they did a quick look over and could have missed it. I also will note and not that my mechanic will want to back this again but he shared with me that some parts, in his estimation, were recently replaced in the vicinity of the joints (I plan to see my mechanic about this tomorrow). I know that this will be hard to prove when they were replaced but I might try this as well.

Also here is the state information about used cars. I apologize for the length but I am looking for all the help I can get.

Problem used car
Car buyers are protected by law

If you bought your used car from a licensed Wisconsin dealership, you are protected by Wisconsin?s Motor Vehicle Trade Practice Laws. You don?t have the same protection if you buy from a private party.
A dealership must tell you what it can reasonably discover about the vehicle

Dealerships perform a used vehicle inspection and complete a window disclosure label before offering a vehicle for sale. They test drive the vehicle, and check the exterior of the vehicle, the underside, and under the hood for problems. They also review any paperwork they have for the vehicle, including the vehicle title. The dealership then completes a window label called the Wisconsin Buyers Guide. The Buyers Guide tells you if the vehicle has any existing problems or important history you should know about. Dealerships are required to list any problems they should reasonably have known about based on their inspection, test drive and paperwork check. They do not have to take vehicles apart or run diagnostic tests to find hidden problems. They also do not have to tell you about future problems your vehicle may develop because of its current age or condition.
Vehicle condition should match the label

You are entitled to receive a vehicle that is in the condition the Wisconsin Buyers Guide window sticker describes. If the dealer fails to list on the Buyers Guide an existing problem they should have detected during the test drive or inspection, you may have remedies under the law.

The Wisconsin Buyers Guide provides the following useful information about a used vehicle offered for sale:

How the vehicle was used.
For example, the label will show if the vehicle was privately driven, leased, used as a business vehicle, rented or used as a police vehicle. A vehicle?s history may tell you something about how it was driven and cared for.

Title brands that will be on your title.
Title brands are permanent notations that will appear on any future title issued for a particular vehicle. Brands show, for example, whether a vehicle was rebuilt salvage, flood damaged, or bought back by the manufacturer under a lemon law.

Year, make and model of the vehicle.
It also lists, the vehicle identification number (VIN), engine size and transmission type.

Warranty information.
Whether the vehicle is being sold with remaining manufacturer warranty, a dealer warranty or “as is.” A vehicle sold “as is” has no manufacturer or dealer warranty. The dealer has no obligation to pay for repairing problems that develop after the sale. However, even when selling a vehicle “as is,” the dealer must inspect the vehicle and disclose existing problems. The “Wisconsin Buyers Guide” must accurately reflect the condition the vehicle is in at the time of sale.

The condition of general and safety equipment items.
It is legal for a dealership to sell you a vehicle with safety or general condition problems. They can even sell you a vehicle that is not legal to operate on Wisconsin roadways. However, they must disclose these problems on the “Wisconsin Buyers Guide.”

Dealers are not required to note that a vehicle had been in an accident

The “Wisconsin Buyers Guide” does not require the dealership to mark whether the vehicle has ever been in an accident. In some cases, there would be no way a dealership could detect repaired damage based on the inspection and test drive. However, a dealership is required to tell you about any existing accident damage, or any repaired damage to the vehicle frame, strut tower, floor pan, or structural portion of the unibody. Again, the dealership is only obligated to disclose items it could reasonably detect during the test drive, vehicle inspection, and inspection of vehicle records at the dealership.

If you ask dealerships whether or not the car has been in an accident, they are not required to do additional research to find out and tell you. However, they should tell you if there are signs that the vehicle was in a bad accident or one that affects how it works now.

So, would you all say that this should have reasonably been detected during the inspection and what do you think about the the inspection date and what my mechanic said?

It is worth a shot to discuss this with the dealer and have your quotations ready. Wisconsin seems to have a bit more stringent law than what I am used to dealing with. You may need an inspection report from your mechanic, to pursue your claim and also know how many miles you have put on the car, so far, as an indicator that the problem was pre-existing. I think the issue got missed, the selling dealer may do a good will repair when faced with all the facts. Did the seller also provide a required Wisconsin road worthiness inspection, to get the title transfer and plates transferred?

Whether or not the OP has any protection at all under the law depends on several things. If they signed an “AS IS” disclaimer they’re likely to be toast.
Much will also depend on the state this occurred in. In Oklahoma the dealer could have actually stated the ball joints are good and the buyer is stuck with it anyway.

My feeling is that the dealer probably knows the law very well and has covered their bases. There is also no requirement that a dealer has to inspect one single thing before placing the car up for sale.

I have put about 600 miles on it.

Mel x 2: I agree with the others who say that ball joints are not covered under your warranty. However, I believe from the language of the Wisconsin Buyer’s Guide that you have the leverage to compel the dealer to fix the problem. The relevant language is “Dealerships are required to list any problems they should reasonably have known about based on their inspection, test drive and paperwork check.” Ball joints are an item that a dealer should “reasonably have known about”. If the dealer was responsible for the safety inspection, you have a strong case.

Another thing noted on the back of the buyers guide is as follows
Obligation to Remedy Undisclosed Problems
The disclosures on this guide are not a warranty. However, it is unfair practice for a dealership to refuse to remedy any problem that should have been disclosed on the guide if the problem:
Existed at the time of sale
Could have been found using reasonable care
Was not disclosed, and
Is reported to the dealer when discovered and the vehicle is made available to the dealership
(I found out about it Friday afternoon)

You got him.