I messed up. How screwed am I?

I’m just worried im going to get gouged by them. I found some engines online for $1,300 and figure I can find a coworker who will do a swap for a grand right? I can’t imagine kia will do better than that?

If you are going to put your own engine in I guess be sure the engine you select is the new replacement type, not the same thing as was in there. I don’t know how to tell the difference or how reliable the replacements are.

1 Like

There is a thread on this site where a person found an online engine and paid to have it installed . They are having warranty problems and will have to pay to have it removed + freight + restocking fees so they did not really save money.

When there is an engine-related warranty issue, the dealer/manufacturer is going to look for evidence of proper maintenance. If the car wasn’t maintained at a dealership, they will want to see hard copies of receipts listing dates and odometer mileage of all oil changes.

1 Like

It’s given that records are to be 100% complete to have a warranty case.
If @Jerrod_Lay can not produce these, he better concentrate on non-warranty options.

As a side-note, I suspect that owners maintaining cars per “oil life monitor” are set for a very bad surprise at this point if that monitor told them to extend oil change interval above warranty-mandated limits.

Sounds like the stuff Class Action Lawsuits are made from. Also, if I recall that’s already in the works (the suits that is, don’t know for sure about the OLMs, but hey, why not?). “I just did what my car, programmed by the manufacturer, told me to do.”
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

I have one such a happy camper in my office.

I told him about potential troubles if his Honda ever need a warranty service, still he is happy to push above recommended max of 10K miles, since his OLM tells “it’s 25% left”.

You are saying that the distance limit for the oil is 10,000 miles but that limit hasn’t been programmed into the maintenance computer? Who’s fault is that?

Probably not the owner, but it brings another PIA problem for the owner.
It becomes his responsibility to make every maintenance shop making oil change to “independently verify” that OLM reading, so manufacturer will get off the hook if engine warranty claim is gonna be made.

That seems strange. The two are in conflict. If you have an OLM, there is no need to specify mileage or time interval, the OLM is doing all that but using much more pertinent data inputs to decide the interval than time and mileage. For example- here is what the Owner’s Manual says for my Trailblazer-

Capture3

It does go on to say if you mess up the system by not resetting it properly, you should change the oil within 3000 miles and then reset the OLM properly.

I would be curious which car this is that has both an OLM and a time/mileage recommendation…

1 Like

He has 2018 Accord Hybrid.

I did not specifically check his Maintenance Schedule, mostly we spoke about how his car gets broken in and he said “just great, I’m on 11K miles and I’m only to change my oil for the first time in next month or so”.

It sounded fishy to me, as I would do my first oil change way earlier than that, so I only asked him if he is not exceeding his scheduled interval.
He went online and found 10K and something like 9 months, do not recall that, but he was clearly above 10K already.
At this point, I made him feel uneasy, so he called dealer and they said, “ah, you’re fine, bro, just bring it in as soon as you can”.

So, the whole thing sounded strange, as his OLM indicated 25% on 11K, his driving style is “inspired” to tell the least.

I looked up the Owner’s Manual, it does not have a mileage recommendation that I can find anywhere. The maintenance section shows this:

Capture4

In other words, use the OLM for change intervals but at least yearly.

Curious where he read/heard there was a 10k mile/9 month recommendation online. He should look in the Owner’s Manual (pg 155?) that came with the car. I would trust that over information posted online…

They’ll spend $20 or $30K on a car and then try to save $30 delaying an oil change. Fascinating.

4 Likes

Again, here’s a regular advising op to go to the dealer and be dishonest

That’s how I see it, for what it’s worth

I agree, I wouldn’t advise being dishonest and saying the oil level’s always been fine. I wouldn’t advise offering information that it had been run low at one point either, especially if these engines are known to be problematic. I guess you could consider that being dishonest by withholding information, but it really shouldn’t have burned 2.5 quarts in 7k miles anyway.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to words and situations like this, although I doubt any financial assistance is on the way unless service records can be provided.

There are lots of manufacturers that consider engine oil usage up to 1qt/600 miles acceptable

I don’t personally agree with that, but I’ve owned cars that used that much oil, and just adapted to the situation by checking and topping off several times a month

Just a note. While I don’t like it, they don’t mandate oil changes by mileage anymore but by the OLM. I had that argument with Acura and they swear by their computers. I change at 5000 anyway regardless of their computers but they’d be hard pressed to disallow a claim for extended oil changes. Of course then before they can do that, they also need to have some evidence of neglect. Still I’ll do what I want based on common sense and experience regardless of what computers tell me to do.

1 Like

Which includes checking and topping off the engine oil level often . . . as stated in the manual :smiley:

60 month 60,000 mile warranty transfers to other than original owner(s). 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty does not. At 79,000 miles OP has no warranty.

1 Like

I have no reason not to have oil/filter changes (5,000 miles/6 months) done at the dealership. $30 with hand wash and vacuum.