I lost my oil cap, I turned to Google

Those most definitely look like them. Thank you! Awesome! I know I’ll be back because I know I will need help again.

If those are E torx I ran into them this winter. I’d never seen them before and a regular socket SAE or Metric will not fit. I haven’t bought any but I did notice Harbor Freight has some pretty cheap.

1 Like

Look at the top of the window where you type your post. There a row of 12 symbols. The 7th from the left shows an upward pointing arrow. Clicking that will allow you to upload your photo. Beforehand you have to figure out a way to get your photo in jpg format, and loaded as a file on (or accessible) by your computer.

I expect it is possible to post a photo directly from a smart phone as well, but I’ve never tried that.

2 Likes

I would get a hook on the towel, remove or defeat the spark plugs, and pull on the hook while cranking the engine, in hopes that the towel will release from whatever is holding it.

1 Like

I finally found 2 that worked, 11 mm and 5.5, I knew I had to have them, just took a long while. Now, I know there us a sequence, but is there a specific torque to put cover back on? I can’t find anything and I don’t have a manual, which I def need to download, but I assume they don’t tell you that anyway.

It came out in shreds, i think i got it (most of it) now I got to put the valve cover back on. Is there a torque pressure? Or just the sequence?

I ended up having the right ones! This garage, of a house I moved into has everything, I knew I had to have them.

A valve cover isn’t like installing a head.

So the torque sequence isn’t as important.

I just put the valve covers on, make sure the bolts are started straight, and run them down with a speed handle wrench until snug.

Tester

2 Likes

Too much torque can break a bolt, strip a thread, or damage a gasket. Too little and you might get a leak. So knowing the torque spec is always a good idea. You might check YouTube for the procedure for your vehicle. I have seen rubber gaskets, paper gaskets, cork composite gaskets, with or without gasket varnish, liquid silicone rubber gaskets, all a little bit different procedure.

My favorite torque spec. was from Oldsmobile, “fully seated, not stripped”

3 Likes

Valve cover fasteners usually don’t need to be very tight. Better not tight enough than too tight imo. Over-tightening can warp the valve cover and cause leaks you didn’t have before.

On my Corolla the torque spec for the valve cover fasteners is only 70 inch pounds; i.e. 6 foot pounds. Barely a snug.

1 Like