I hurt my lower back while removing lug nuts/replacing tire. Is there a better tool to use?

My wife’s Ford Edge spec is 162 lb-ft. My Camaro is 140.

That’s what I use. The arms aren’t all that long but an 18” pipe slipped over opposing arms should provide enough leverage to get the lug nuts off. I would tighten the nuts without the pipe extensions though.

3 Likes

Sounds like last person who put them on didn’t use a torque wrench.

Get a good impact wrench and 21 mm impact socket. Likely some black Friday deals or Christmas deals coming up. Normally Milwaukee has an older gen 1/2 impact 3/8 ratchet, battery and charger bundle for $200 during this time frame at home desperate

1 Like

It doesn’t take much for someone to throw out their back

Don’t be so sure the lug nuts were overtightened

4 Likes

I have one, albeit a different model that I bought–probably–about 30 years ago. It’s been a few years since I used it, but it was still working properly at that time. Naturally, I have only used it to remove lug nuts, and I use a torque wrench to secure them.

Probably an old auto shop I use to go to. The lug nuts were on insanely tight

Whenever a shop installs a wheel on my vehicles, my first step is to loosen all the lug nuts, then use my 18 incher to hand tighten them in rounds, in the proper sequence.

1 Like

Sounds like you need to find a better shop, my guys use torque wrenches to tighten mine down the proper way anytime they mess with them (R&B’s)… lol

What I did the last time I had mine replaced. When my pickup was stolen, the lug wrench disappeared. I carry my 18-inch long ½-inch torque wrench to do the honors.

I use an 18 incher 1/2 drive to loosen and a regular 12 inch 3/8 drive ratchet to tighten. Sometimes I use a torque wrench, but not usually.

Do you know how to properly use the tool that came with your vehicle? It’s designed for a small person to use.

You put it on a lug-nut as close to parallel to ground as you can. Then you stand on it…applying as much force as you can.

I personally own a battery power impact wrench. As easy as it gets. I also bought a lug-nut torque wrench a few years ago. Makes life real easy.

1 Like

It only works if the lug nuts were installed correctly. I had new tires put on my truck a few years ago. About a month after, I went to work on the brakes. I could not loosen the lug nuts with any tools I had, including a 1/2" impact, a 4 way, or even a 24" breaker bar. In fact, for clearance I had to use a 3" extension on the socket. The extension (Craftsman) broke using the 24" breaker bar.

I took the truck back and had them loosen the lug nuts with their impacts and then put them back on. Even barely tightened down, the I could not loosen them to torque them properly. They were using those new to the market, sold only through their trucks, 16V 1/2" drive impacts that develop 1600 ft lbs of torque. I forget the brand but you pros know them.

Edit: just came back, MATCO.

A tire iron is not a lug wrench. A tire iron is a flat mostly straight bar tire with curved smooth ends that was used to remove and install tires on and off rims and is seldom used today. I keep a 2’ pipe and a breaker bar with the right socket in my trunk under the floor mat with the spare.

Yup!
Somehow, over the decades, the term “tire iron” began to be used to refer to a lug wrench… by many people.
This is a tire iron:

Answer to this kinda depends on how often you take the lugs off. The car kit is made for emergencies, and to fit in a compact space in your trunk. If you are doing your own maintenance, rotations, or even swapping out twice a year for snow tires, then get a decent quality battery impact gun and a torque wrench.

If this is a twice in a lifetime side of the road flat swap, then I wouldn’t invest too much money (or trunk space) in something that will hardly ever get used.

Because it’s a beautiful phrase, a short poem, something we want to preserve, so an associated tool still in use assimilates it. There are other examples I can’t remember.

A rose is a rose by any other name. Used to get upset when someone said they borrowed it to someone but I have mellowed…

At any rate to repeat my lugs are 3/4 inch. Just tried a 21 mm too big. So make sure you know what you have.

Unless your car is 40+ years old, your lug nuts are probably 19mm. 3/4" = 19mm (well, 19.05mm to be exact). A 3/4" socket feels like it’s the right size on 19mm.

I’ve had this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CA04RH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
for years, and it’s totally amazing. Breaks even M16 hardened bolts! :rofl: if not careful.
I use to remove lug nuts and to SLIGHTLY tighten them. Then I use a torque wrench. Not that it’s required on Toyota but I’ve seen a lot of bmw’s, fords, and chryslers with warped rotors and/or broken/stripped studs so it makes sense to invest a few bucks and a few minutes in making it right without throwing your back off.

If I see can Abe Lincoln’s entire head while measuring tread in some areas of the tire, but his head is well-covered by tread in other areas of the tire, do you think its still time to change the tire?