I hit your car in the rear. IT's YOUR FAULT!

My comment would also be… Huh?

Only if the suit is found frivolous and kicked out of court. They plaintiff should pay the defendant’s legal costs in this situation, too.

1 Like

It’s amazing how a few people think they can just not pay for work performed. I have a friend who is a marine contractor. He installed a bulkhead for someone on the water here. At the end the client said: “It’s a real nice job but I’m not paying you.” After trying the normal things the guy still would not pay. So my friend gathered a few friends and waited till the guy was out of town (it was his second house). He went over on a Sat and Sun and tore out the entire bulkhead! He never heard from the AH! My friend learned you gotta have a signed contract; shaking a guys hand doesn’t work anymore.

Very early in my flying career I worked for a guy who flew parachute jumpers. A real shiest-er. He had a guy pave his short gravel runway. At the end he said: “Nice job! I’m not paying you!” Luckily I didn’t have to work for him very long. (Sorry about the non-car stories)

For those of you who criticize Boston drivers, I can definitely say that if you can drive there and keep a cool head, you can pretty much drive anywhere.

I’ve had to drive through the Big Dig and have dealt with people passing me on the left hand shoulder while on the Southeast Expressway because I wasn’t going fast enough, people cutting in front of me and quickly breaking to a stop coming out of the HOV lane over the I-93 bridge and your typical chain of cars following the last car taking a left going through the light turning red.

It’s not a city that’s friendly to drive for people who don’t know the area. If your in the wrong lane, expect to drive around the block a few times before you realize what lane you need to be in to get where you want, otherwise risk being hit if you illegally cut into another lane.

Fifteen years back I had the choice of either driving 5 miles through Boston at 5mph or driving 30 miles around Boston at 30mph when the traffic would back up to route 60 in Medford going home. I chose the latter.

The problem with Boston native drivers is they take their aggressive driving elsewhere. It’s annoying.

I remember back in the mid 80’s when driving on I-90 (thruway) there was an area where they were rebuilding a bridge. All the vehicles were funneled into one lane. Everyone was zippering in fine…except there was this line of extremely aggressive drivers who decided they wanted to drive in the breakdown lane and cut in front of the line. There were about 20 cars…every single one of them had MA plates.

I guess that would be annoying. I used to think the same of drivers from RI on Route 128 (I-95).

Yeah I’ve driven in Boston but I prefer riding on the tourist bus instead. We went out for a walk too and that was taking your life in your own hands too.

Now in Minnesota we get a lot of Iowa drivers coming to the big city. To really stereotype, they are generally courteous but they hog the left lane all the time. They can be one of a few cars on the freeway but they will be in the left lane. I can’t understand why. As soon as they get to Iowa they are in the right lane again. Might be going back to the days where the troopers strictly enforced the 55 limit. I dunno.

1 Like

I’ll see your Boston drivers, and raise you Washington/Baltimore area drivers. Absolutely no concept of lane discipline (staying in your own lane)- much less the “slower drivers keep right”.

caveat: Got my driving start in/ around metro Boston.Would gladly go back to driving that rather than driving around the…fine upstanding citizens around here.

1 Like

Many years ago, I knew a woman who scared the heck out of me on the only time that I rode in her car. She picked me up in her father’s ancient Buick, and we set out for a trip on the NJ Turnpike. As soon as she left the Turnpike’s merging lane, she immediately darted over to the left lane, where she proceeded to drive at exactly 55 mph–while cars constantly honked at us, and while both cars and trucks repeatedly roared past us on the right, with some of them then cutting us off as they angrily moved back to the left lane.

That Buick had no seat belts, and as I gripped the arm rest with white knuckles, I asked, “June, why are you riding in the left lane?”, and her response was, “Oh, I just feel safer over here”. :scream:

I never again rode in her car.

Which reinforces my assertion that we already have lots of “driverless” cars on our highways.

3 Likes

My first trip to Boston was in 1981 (to run the marathon). I knew a woman who lived there from when she spent six months in San Francisco (where I lived at the time), another difficult driving city. She offered to show me around Boston. When I got into her car she said, “I lived in San Francisco, and I drove there, so I know what it’s like. What I’m about to do is going to look really weird to you, but trust me, I know what I’m doing.” “Weird” is putting it very mildly. Running the marathon was the easy part of my trip.

Getting back to the original issue,

In many languages the word for lawyer is essentially “advocate.” When an argument turns ugly, we want to prove that we are in the right. We hire lawyers to express the nastiest parts of ourselves in these arguments. People often blame lawyers for being nasty, except when they are being nasty on our behalf. The lawyers are simply doing what we hired them to do.

2 Likes