I have been told by a mechanic I need a special catalytic converter

"2004 model year with 17,000 miles? The catalytic converter on your vehicle is covered by the 8 year/80,000 mile EPA mandated emission warranty. This means the dealer must install a new cataytic converter in your vehicle at no cost to you.

Tester "

How can a part that’s been removed from the vehicle be covered under the warranty?

When you say that you bought it “As is”, I presume that this means that you got if from a dealer? If so, look into your local laws to see if the dealer has some liability for selling a vehicle with an altered emission control system.

In my state, the term “As is”, when used by a dealer, has some limits. The vehicle has to be legal to operate on the highway, and safe.

Back when I was turning a wrench for a living, I ran several dealers through the wringer on “As is” sales. Some low income single mom would come in to my shop with her freshly purchased vehicle. A quick inspection showed that the vehicle was garbage, abused, neglected, and held together with wire and bondo, and/or with a fraudulent emission inspection. If I could find ANYTHING wrong with the emission controls, the brakes, or the steering, I would, at a minimum, make the dealer fix that for free. Often, they bought the junker back from her rather than fix it, and they presumably sold it to another sucker.

Then you and Michael Caine as Alfred supervised the rebuild of Wayne Manor, with special attention to the southeastern foundation.