I have a mazda3 2010 how good is the automatic transmission on this car?

The oil engineer expert, (don’t remember his name) was on with Dave engine shop in Utah discussing zinc and oil and best practices. Said to use break in oil with
Zinc on a rebuilt engine for one hour, then drain it and used standard oil. That’s all that is needed. Discussed the difference between friction and wear that I still don’t understand.

The interesting comment again though was that higher oil change specs from the mfg give them a couple of advantages. One is that it lowers maintenance costs for the consumer and second they get extra points from EPA . Recommended 3000 mile changes. Poopoohed the algo rythem oil monitors as not being helpful. I rest my case with the discussion I’ve had with the acura service manager. So much bs if you want your engine to last.

thank you for this information. however let me address that this is the company that came out with the “skyactiv” technology that no longer requires ATF maintenance. this technology came out in 2012 and my car is a 2010. perhaps my car doesnt have recommendations for the transmission because it was discovered with this model that the engineering is perhaps so finessed that the transmission does not have issues during the life of the vehicle??

The car model without any possibility of transmission issues during the life of the vehicle has yet to be invented.

2 Likes

Lifetime equals the length of the warranty, in my opinion.
On one of my vehicles, they claim 150,000 for the ATF, yet transmission is only warranted for 50K. I chose to not gamble, have my transmission and coolant serviced around 30-50,000 miles.

1 Like

Seems to me that the OP only agrees with what he/she wants to hear…

BTW, the only transmission not needing service at some point or another is a transmission with no moving/working parts…

3 Likes

Lifetime transmission fluid means the life of the transmission.

https://www.blauparts.com/blog/what-does-lifetime-transmission-fluid-really-mean.html

Tester

1 Like

That’s a good article, Tester.

I just came off the phone with Toyota and Lexus as I read the comments on this subject. Toyota said for my car I need a flush at 60,000 miles and Lexus said I don’t need a flush until 100,000 miles or 10 year of ownership.

I already asked Toyota and Lexus this question in the past but to double check and refresh my memory I decided to call again.

Since my car is a Lexus rather than a Toyota, I’ll just go with Lexus recommendation.

Like @davesmopar said above, an auto-transmission service will only help, never hurt. As long as it is done correctly, using the correct fluid and (if applicable) filter. The transmission could fail soon after a transmission service, but if that happens it was almost certainly going to fail soon anyway. I diy’er service my truck’s auto-trans (Ford C4, may not apply to Mazda’s) every 50K miles. I monitor the trans fluid level on the dipstick and make sure it is clean and has no burnt odors once a month. For the first 15 years I wasn’t as diligent w/the servicing. It failed at the 15 year mark and had to be rebuilt, so I’ve been more diligent with the servicing since. Remember the manufacturers are in the business of selling new vehicles, so they may have a conflict of interest.

1 Like

If I’m understanding you, George, it’s better to service the transmission earlier than later ? Like would you say take Toyotas advice over Lexus by getting the trans serviced sooner ?

I would choose the more frequent service intervals. I don’t always do this myself. Ford recommends my truck’s fuel filter be replaced every 4 months or 4,000 miles. I replace it once a year.

1 Like

Earlier, I suggested you stop drinking the kool-aid

Since you seem to like the stuff, I don’t think ANY of your cars are going to live to be a ripe old age

1 Like

If you contacted a dealer rather than the factory representatives, you got the service department’s view and not necessary the manufacturer’s take on it. Some dealers are more conservative than others. If Toyota uses the same transmission in Toyota and Lexus cars then the factory recommendation should be the same.

2 Likes

Most Toyota cars are FWD, most Lexus cars are RWD or RWD with the AWD system added, IIRC…

Most Lexus sales are the RX, NX, and ES models, which are directly based on Toyota FWD/AWD models.

1 Like

And the ES is based on the Camry.

Hello, jtsaners. I took your advice and called the Lexus factory just a minute ago and I was astounded by what I was told.

Lexus factory representative ( or whatever they are called at the factory ) told me that there is no recommendation to flush the transmission of my car.

He said the fluid in the transmission last the life of the car, so I interrupted him politely and asked “ Isn’t lifetime referring to the time the car is under warranty ? What if I planned to keep the car up to 200k miles, then what ?”

He responded “ The fluid will last as long as you keep the car for, whether for 100k or 200k, even 350k miles. The fluid just never needs to be changed. “

So I told him I wasn’t too comfortable with that but thanked him for the info. He then said “ If you want to change the fluid, you can take it to a dealer for peace of mind. But I’m telling you there is no reason to.”

I am not surprised that Lexus gave you the same advice that is in their owner’s manual. Did you expect something different? It is up to you whether to have it changed. I would.

3 Likes

Anything is possible I suppose. If the transmission ever needs a major repair, which I presume the rep will concur is a possibility, the fluid will need to be drained out. I wonder if the same recommendation applies; i.e. after the repair is completed , just pour the old fluid back in?

He addressed this over the phone as well.

He said the only time the transmission fluid may need to be changed is when the transmission is being repaired.

It sounds like your conversation was running in circles … lol … As mentioned already above, a factory rep is unlikely to offer up any personal opinions that vary from what the owner’s manual says. It’s just a matter of perspective whether the customer proactively replaces the coolant, or it gets replaced as part of a repair. It still gets replaced. tom ae to vs to-mah-to.

Speaking of tomatoes, reminds me of the time I was riding at the back of a transit bus in NYC, and all of a sudden 4 huge tomatoes come rolling toward me down the center isle. I pick them up and go toward the front of the bus asking each of the riders if the tomatoes belong to them. Eventually one of them sees their grocery bag has tipped over, thanks me, and takes the tomatoes, offering me one for my trouble. It was really delicious!