I have a mazda3 2010 how good is the automatic transmission on this car?

Regular transmission are not hurt by flushing, that is more of a CVT thing…
If the trans has a pan and filter, it is better to replace the filter and clean the pan as well as you can tell a lot about a trans by what is or is not in the pan, BUT afterwards flush it out, flushing not only cleans and changes the fluid in the converter, but also the cooler lines and the cooler… So doing both is preferred… But flushing alone can break up sediment from the case and converter etc and can limit the flow and or stop up the filter…

ATF is a cleaner and conditioner, that is why you can run a quart through your engine to clean it before changing the oil, but it will smoke like crazy… lol

No you cant trust a “quick oil change” place with this job. You either go to a trusted independent shop ( not a chain) or to a Mazda dealer.

5 Likes

I had a 2005 Honda Accord EX V6 with auto transmission. I changed the trans fluid every 30,000-40,000 miles and replaced the fluid with the Honda AT fluid every time. When I traded the car in at 187,000 miles the Honda salesman I bought the new car from said the used car manager had never seen a trade in that had a power train running that well with high mileage. Yes, preventative maintenance like exchanging AT fluid really does extend the life of the car.

3 Likes

Wise words, I hope the OP follows them.

Sell it. Buy a Toyota.

1 Like

My 2004 GM truck that I used to tow 8800 lbs with a few weekends a year got its fluid changed at 80K miles. Pan drop, and filter. Fluid smelled fine, pan looked good. Changed again at 120K, fluid smelled fine, pan looked clean. At 153K it shifts like it did new (maybe better!)

This truck will drive itself to the junkyard when the frame breaks from rust.

You’re using false logic, imo

If you would maintain your car(s) well, they could easily last 20 years

Don’t you want to drive fully paid-off cars that you can insure cheaply, as opposed to your current situation, which requires the very expensive comprehensive insurance

3 Likes

Smart people follow the instructions in the maintenance schedule to save money in the long term. Some people do more frequent fluid changes for peace of mind, which I won’t argue against.

Definitely use a good local transmission shop or the dealer, not a quick-oil-change place.

You say that you’re not a crazy driver, but keep in mind that doing Uber and food delivery probably puts you in the severe service category due to the extra stops and starts and extra idling.

4 Likes

I just have to laugh :rofl: he wants the car to last but doesn’t really want the advice of pros on maintenance. Good luck with that.

1 Like

the thing is that my last car before this one was a honda. it required no preventative maintenance other than oil change and tires replaced. now comes this car and within the first two years it went to the mechanic for repairs 3 times. it already gave me so many headaches. the dealership actually sold a car that broke down within a month of ownership. the power steering failed. had to get that situation fixed twice. once for complete failure the other for leak. i never had a car this unreliable. i see the advice to buy a toyota. that car the fuse blew and wouldnt shift out of park i had to shove a screw driver in that socket to move the shifter. the only brand that NEVER gave me any issues was HONDA.

Based on ONE car… Edit: OK, based on TWO cars…

Why did you buy a Mazda if Hondas were your Go-To car?

And you buy a car more than 10 years old with 100K on the clock and are surprised by this?

Unrealistic expectations. Sell the Mazda before the transmission breaks. Buy another Honda. See if lightening strikes twice in the same spot.

3 Likes

Do you really think that anyone would know that a vehicle will have problems that can be predicted as to when it will happen ?

This vehicle might have problems soon or night not for a while. But using it for contract deliveries is just asking for trouble . Find a job that does not require driving and it might last until paid for plus the savings on insurance will help your budget.

1 Like

actually two cars. also had a honda accord before. that car the doors closed with satisfying solid thud and not the panel bending twang of my current car. also worked and handled like the most solid vehicle i ever drove outside of my dads lexus which you couldnt hear any road noise nor when you start the car. but i only drove that car twice. the honda accord never had ANY mechanical issues.

New data, same advice…

I’m not taking the time to do this, but if you were to look at the owner’s manual for a 2010 Civic and a 2010 Mazda3 and compare the costs for doing everything recommended under the severe service schedule up to 150,000 miles, I would wager that the Mazda would cost less in maintenance.

Perhaps your Mazda has required repairs because the previous owner deferred maintenance with th short-sighted idea that it would save her money?

If cars did not require repairs there wouldn’t be dealer service departments, auto repair shops every 5 blocks, or auto parts stores.

4 Likes

I don’t know what the point is but the advise I gave my son when he bought his bmw was to trade before the warranty goes off.

I haves trans fluids changed every 30,000 without fail. For the Acura it is done at the dealer and includes transfer case and differential. Cost about $150 last time. The Pontiac is done at a trans shop and cost $200 last time. About $100 more than than the time before. But the dealer was cheaper, figure that out.

2 Likes

Please stop drinking the kool-aid

There is no such thing as a car with an internal combustion engine that requires no preventive maintenance other than oil and filter changes

2 Likes

Unless you bought the car brand new, and kept it for less than 50,000 miles, this is simply not true. What you really mean is that you got away with skipping the recommended maintenance, thus pushing the costs onto whoever owned the car after you.

5 Likes

+1
That–unfortunately–can be the result of buying a used car–especially when it has been driven for more than 100k miles.

Again, +1. The OP may have been lucky enough to not have suffered from mechanical problems, along with doing minimum maintenance, but none of the regulars in this forum would recommend taking that type of chance.

You beat me to it!

4 Likes

Here’s the factory maintenance schedule for your 2010 Mazda3.

Ironically, it says nothing about the need to change the transmission fluid. I’m not in the “do it every 30K” camp, but rather “every 50K-80K”.
I would change it on your car if I were you.

1 Like