I don't believe this dealer

My daughter was hit on the drivers side of her car by a driver going too fastfor icy conditions.The impact was on the left front fender and both left doors.After the car was repaired the GPS no longer was working. The Honda dealer states the accident is not the cause of the GPS failure. How is this possible?

It’s possible that the shock of the impact opened up a marginal solder joint on the circuit board or some other marginal condition in one of the electronic components of the GPS was pushed into failure. The dealer can say what he likes; may be right or wrong. Ask for clarification. He may believe that you want a free new or repaired GPS that was defective prior to the accident.

A lot of it depends on the severity of impact and the location of the gps components. I can see and understand how the shop can say its most likely not related (from experience). What happens often is the insurance company will say to diagnosis the problem and determine what the issue is. If its related then insurance pays. If its not related (prior or simply bad timing) they wont pay and might not even pay the diag fee whichs means you would pay the diag fee and repairs if you choose to repair.

I would also suggest discussing this with the claims adjuster, not just the dealer. Sometimes a reasonable discussion yields the results you desire. If no one has taken the GPS out to look at it, I would politely suggest they are jumping to conclusions. My argument would be it worked up to the minute of impact, suggesting that the accident caused it to not work.

“If no one has taken the GPS out to look at it, I would politely suggest they are jumping to conclusions…”

What’s to look at?? It works or it doesn’t…This is just a contest to see who is going to pay for a new one, if anyone…

When it comes to an impact anything and everything on a car is subject to damage even if the part or unit in question has not been physically touched by the other vehicle.

I wonder how the dealer is involved at all? The dealer is not the insurer or the insured driver of the car that hit your daughter’s car. Your daughter had an accident, and then the GPS failed. Cause and effect would suggest that the accident caused the GPS to fail.

Other than that, if your daughter was hit driverside by a car in any conditions, the first assumption has to be that she was at a stop, and attempted to turn left into traffic that had the right of way. In which case, she is absolutely at fault. Especially in icy conditions.

Other than that, if your daughter was hit driverside by a car in any conditions, the first assumption has to be that she was at a stop, and attempted to turn left into traffic that had the right of way. In which case, she is absolutely at fault. Especially in icy conditions.

Really?
Really??
Really???

Do you really want me to explain to you why you’re wrong?

Actually, she was sitting still while waiting for the idiot going too fast for icy conditions on the internal street of her apartment complex. He was moving. She was not. Don’t assume.

[B]“Other than that, if your daughter was hit driverside by a car in any conditions, the first assumption has to be that she was at a stop, and attempted to turn left into traffic that had the right of way. In which case, she is absolutely at fault. Especially in icy conditions.”[/B]

The only way that your scenario would be correct is if his daughter was illegally trying to turn left into cross traffic that had the right of way.

The much more likely scenario is that she was at a four way stop in an intersection waiting to turn left and someone coming from her left smashed into her - either by going through a stop sign or light and not paying attention.

The fault being hers would not be my first assumption.

On topic - based on the information given - it is very likely that the GPS failure was caused by the accident. Unless the dealer can give another good reason for the GPS failure, there is no other logical reason to believe otherwise.

I say more likely some accident in the shop while they were repairing the car damaged the GPS. I ask ,does the radio still work,does everything else in the car still work. I don’t agree it is up to the Dealer to offer an explaination why everything in the car that does not work,does not work. In any case get the insurance company to tell the Dealer to find out why the GPS does not work. It is not like you have a fender bender and everything on your car gets fixed. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of people that want to try and scam the insurance company after an accident.

Everything else in the car still works except the GPS and we are ready to say it was the accident. Inform the adjuster,that is the proper way to deal with this.

Try and post a picture so we can see the severity of the hit.