I broke it

I was driving all crazy because I was mad and now my check engine light is on.

When I push the accelerator my car does not go any where I have to let my foot off of the gas for a second and very very slowly apply the gas…

I was mad and was accelerating and breaking very hard. any ideas???

its a 2004 Chevy Aveo by the way.

Typically accelerating hard and braking hard does not damage a car but, if this car was forced to over rev somehow you could have bent the pushrods (this would only be possible if the car has pushrods, I am not familar with the Aveo.)

This car has an OHC engine, no pushrods.

The OP should take the car to an Advance Auto or Autozone and have it scanned for codes.

The OP should also not drive if being mad will cause her/him to drive unsafely and abuse the car.

If the OP wasn’t angrily texting at the time, I’ll say it was just bad luck. Cars just don’t understand our feelings.

Something’s got me thinking TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I’m not sure what the characteristics are if these sensors go bad.

You didn’t hit any bumps, dips, or ex-boyfriends did you?

At one time or another we all tend to drive a little angrily, but please, take a deep breath, eat some chocolate, and say “gooosfraba”(from movie “Anger Management”).

In all seriousness, please, please do not drive angrily, not only do you put yourself at risk but you can risk the lives of innocent bystanders or motorists that could also include someone’s wife and children!

I agree with the notion of taking it to have its codes read. Most chain owned auto stores do it for free.

If you feel yourself getting mad, pull the e-brake and sing:

(bum-bum-buum)
“I feel pretty…”

Take care
JP#3

Does your car realize that you aren’t that mad any more? Does it have mood swings?
When you press the gas, does the engine speed sound like it goes way up? Or, does it feel like the engine just doesn’t have any power?

Mandi, Automatic Transmission Or Manual (DIY Gear Shifting) With A Clutch?

Does anything smell unusual, now? I’m being serious, here. Oh, and about how many mile are on this vehicle?

CSA

Hanging around guessing won’t get you very far. Just go to an auto parts store (big chains work best) and ask then to scan your computer for codes. Write down the codes (like P0123 - not the words that anyone gives you) and then post them.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P1234) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

However, If That Kid In Class Has A Burned Out Clutch, He Or She May Have Nothing To Say When Called On, Just A Bad Aroma.

I think Hellokit was trying to rule that out (I can’t speak for Kit) and that was my intent, also. The description of the problem sure points in that direction. This car may have a burned clutch, an auto trans, or who knows what?

I think we need more information. Having the codes read, certainly won’t hurt anything, though. This car could have multiple problems following the hissy fit episode, or may have had them before it, as well. The CEL may just have something to say that will help.

CSA

MandiM:

Take this as a lesson to drive smoothly, and live smoothly too.

As Bill Murray said in Groundhog Day; “Don’t drive angry now”

He Recently Hit A Drive And It Left The Course, Crossed A Road And Hit A Lady In The Head Who Was Standing In Her Yard And Knocked Her Down.

He personally went over to see if she was alright. She was so thrilled to meet Murray in person, I guess she wasn’t upset with him.

A burned out clutch won’t trip a CEL, and an AVEO doesn’t have enough power to destroy itself even if driven tempermentally.

I see this as a “code read” situation. Not enough info here to guess.