I bought a car at a small dealership (paid in full). They will not send in my paperwork, because they lost my cashier's check

Yeah I think I agree with Keith. Wet just don’t know who has the title. The dog ate my homework.

You know, “The Dog Ate My Homework” can conjure up some “nasty” memories… What goes in, must someday come out…

When I was stationed in Italy, we had adopted a monster of a dog, a big, as really big German Sheppard; the Italian Veterinarian described our beast as a “Lupo Tedesco,” which literally translates to German Wolf… I say beast, Kalib (his name…) was 32-inches tall at the shoulders and weighed just over 140-poinds…

It was Christmas Eve and we were dropping off some Christmas presents to some of our friends and we left kalbi at home since not all our friends appreciated his habit of “claiming territory…”

That year, the post commissary had issues with their freezer and none of the turkeys were frozen, only refrigerated. So we decided to have frozen cornish game hens (small chickens just under 2-pounds…) and the wife put them in a large bowl on the stove top to thaw.

We went out and when we came back, the bowl was on the floor, broken, and the all three game hens were missing… Our 6-year old son ran in from the living room and said all the presents were messed up and spread over the floor. Kalib was sitting in front of the fireplace looking very sheepish…

In the pile of presents, we found one of the game hens, still frozen, with a lot of bite marks, but that was it, only one…

Over the next couple of days, Kalib stated passing the remnants of the game hens, including the wrappers, which needed some physical and digital (as in a “helping hand”) to remove the wrappers that did not pass and exit completely… See Nasty…

Never again did we leave food out unattended around Kalib… And our son never joked that the dog ate his homework…

2 Likes

Ha ha. We had a little shih tzu she was hungry all the time. We went to Christmas Eve service and when we came home one of those candy canes filled with Hershey kisses was totally empty. Dog had a smile on her face. She ate all the kisses foil and all. Chocolate is not good for dogs but foil is worse. But yeah it was at least a week for all the foil to pass.

German Shepherds can be voracious eaters. My wife tells a story about their German Shepherd when she still lived at home. Her mother put a beef roast on the back of the stove to cool while they went somewhere for a short while. When they got back the roast was gone. There was absolutely nothing left, not even scraps or drips on the floor. They figured that their German Shepherd must have gotten it and cleaned up after himself. They found a better place to stash the roast after that. His eyes were never bigger than his stomach.

Report this to the police department. You are being swindled. Unlikely that you are the only one.

3 Likes

I think it was said that the dealer has 30 days to submit the paperwork, so nothing has happened until then. The dmv can light a fire under the dealer and the dmv or state can suspend the dealer. All the police can do is refer it to the da

1 Like

Not sure what it’s like elsewhere but I have bought vehicles from dealers in 3 different states and always left with a copy of everything- including the application for title transfer. Those forms have been quadruplicate where I get a copy or at least a photocopy. I don’t leave without a bill of sale, receipt for funds paid and copies of the paperwork to transfer title.

For private party sales, I don’t leave without a signed title, with clear ownership established, seeing some form of picture ID identifying the person as the owner and verifying the VIN on the title matches the vehicle plate. Bill of sale and receipt signed by both parties as paid in full, date and time noted.

Where I am the seller, I also note the mileage at the time of transfer and include the phrase- vehicle is being sold as is, where is, with no warrantees implied or given.

3 Likes

I actually can’t remember on a used car but whatever I got was sufficient at dmv to register the cars. On new cars I just get the 21 day sticker and the dealer calls when the new plates come in. Dmv sends the title. All you normally get is the temporary sticker. I’m not sure I really understand anymore what is going on with this one.

1 Like

You have car. Dealer has money. If dealer didn’t have money they might object.

Friends of mine had a Jack Russell terrier, and it managed to get itself onto the dining room table and to take a few bites out of the Thanksgiving turkey before everyone sat down to eat.

When the family’s father saw this happening before his eyes, he turned the terrier into a flying dog. No, it wasn’t hurt, but it also didn’t get dinner that night.

1 Like

If you are in a major city. Contact all the tv stations in town consumer reporter

They seem to be able to get people’s attention

Call dmv. There should be a way to register it, if say paperwork was lost

Do not tell them about the cashier check

You have the car

You have paperwork showing you paid in full

They should work with those two things

Try this

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/reg-227-pdf/

I don’t live in California and am not a lawyer, but note on that form the fields for the legal owner transferring title, and the motorized signature of same. Not likely the dealer will comply and in Minnesota there is a severe penalty for falsifying a public document.

Let’s not make a federal case out of this with police and tv crews until the facts are known, which they are not at this point. Dmv can determine who has title and what needs to be done. We don’t even know what state is really involved, if it is California or Nevada, and where the car came from.

1 Like

Probably doesn’t even matter anymore, OP has not replied at all and was here one day ago it looks like… lol

I would contact either the local police and/or the District Attorney’s Office.