I am buying a saab 900 16 valve turbo -1991

it only has 108,000 miles on it. i am wondering where i can buy the tools to make most of the repairs myself. what tools will i need to change my oil? replace brakes. are they metric? thanks.

Oh, boy. First, yes, you will need metric tools. Not all that many for basic oil changes and brakes. You should probably get a Haynes or similar manual for your car and it should specify the bolt sizes for things like the oil drain plug, lug nuts, etc. In my experience a 10mm is the most used metric wrench size. The oil drain and lug nuts will be larger, but 10mm will cover an amazing amount of everything else.

I would get a basic metric socket set, and add some open and closed end wrenches of the more popular sizes based on what your car has. You will want a couple different pliers and screwdrivers. If your car uses Torx screws you will want a set of Torx drivers, too, and possibly a set of metric Allen wrenches. A good torque wrench and a spark plug socket would be next. After that, it would be add tools as you need them.

Start by buying a manual.

Yes, everything is metric. Tools…hmmmm…how much money you got?

You’ll need small sockets, large sockets, deep sockets, more,
six point, 12 point, wrenches galore,
extensions, distentions, and pliars to pull,
needlenose, snubnose, toolchests full,
box ends, open ends, handles long,
short handled wrenches and even some tongs
for picking up all of that hardware that falls,
and even a hammer that’ll peen with a ball,
and screwdrivers, screwdrivers, every kind,
short ones and long ones, whatever you find,
and finally when you get this all assembled,
you’ll try something new and find yourself mumbling
“why didn’t I stop and buy that extra tool,
I passed up that sale price…man I’m a fool”!!!

I’ll let others give an actual list. I myself never seem to have quite enough tools.

A normal metric tool kit will take care of most basic maintenance items and repairs. A special tool is required for brake pad replacement but those small spanner wrenches with 2 small ears that are used to remove and install grinding wheels on hand grinders will often work if the 2 ears match up distance wise.

There are other specialty tools involved in things like crank seal replacement, gear shift/ignition switch swaps, clutch changes, etc. but you should worry about that on a case by case basis.

Other than basic maintenance items, you can find any odd parts that may be needed on eBay for very reasonable prices.

Since information is the most valuable tool there is, you might consider following eBay for SAAB service manuals, etc. since manuals from SAAB are expensive. The parts house Chiltons manuals are worthless and the Haynes manuals are a step or two “less bad”.
You might also consider an ALLDATA subscription on-line. ALLDATA is not complete, but is fairly detailed. It’s 25 dollars a year + a 15 dollar a year renewal fee.

The mileage is definitely right. SAAB builds near bullet-proof engines and transmissions and they’ll go forever unless abused.

First, get some experience by taking a course in automotive repair and work on the old wrecks that everybody trains on. You will know after a while if this work is something you are suited to do. It is a lot harder to do it right than most people can imagine. I’ve seen a lot of brake jobs done completely wrong. Disc brake wear indicators just hanging in open space, drum brake return springs put on in the wrong order, wrong side and self adjuster cables dragging on the drum. One guy didn’t know how to push the caliper piston back in so he put only one pad on and drove it like that, scraping all the way. It would be good to get some background information on why the car was built the way it was before trying to do it yourself.