Hyundai

Hello,

I recently purchased a Hyundai Elantra 2003. I’m having problems with the car and have been to a couple of mechanics and finally to a Hyundai dealership, 3 times. While I’m driving the engine light goes on, rpms drop, and car hesitates. When I come to a stop or just let the car idle, all warning lights go on and the car stalls. On the expressway, the engine light goes on and the car hesitates.I have put a lot of money into the car and it still isn’t repaired. I’m wondering has anyone had this problem, and how did you fix it.

Thanks,

DAR

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

Thankyou. I have had 2 sensors replaced, a mechanic read the codes. coolant and oil light do come on, not sure about Flashing MIL/CEL. I will pay attention to that driving today.

Does this car have the 100k warranty on the power train?
Does it have less than 100k on the odometer?

If the answer to both questions is YES, then all repairs to the engine, transmission, and electronic controls for both engine and transmission are covered by warranty, and the OP should not be paying anyone to repair it.

OP–What is the odometer mileage on this car, and what are the terms of your powertrain warranty?

My daughter bought a low-mileage, 3-year-old Hyundai about 18 months ago. The fantastic warranty is only for the original owner. Subsequent owners get reduced coverage. She still had some coverage, but not to 100K or 10 years.

My guess is a 2003 is no longer covered.

The warranty is up. I have 54400 miles

You put money into it, but where did it go? Which parts were changed? Which repair was attempted? Did they change the engine control computer? Which codes came up when they were read? More than likely, you will need an engine control computer. A lot of places just refuse to believe that it is shot and won’t do anything but guess what’s wrong. Kind of like when I just say it’s the computer.