Hypertech Engine Programmer

I own a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 gas engine and am considering getting a Hypertech Engine Programmer. Would I see enough increase in gas mileage and performance to warrant the purchase? We do pull a camper in the summer time but the rest of the year it isn’t used for towing.

I question the increase in gas mileage. Note that they don’t claim it, they refer to their customers who claim it. And the hp increase looks pretty small, nothing major.

Normally more hp with a given engine comes at the expense of mpgs.

Also, your 2010 is in warranty, using it could easily void the warranty. We had a discussion some months back about a diesel engine destroyed by a different brand programmer, and the owner was stuck with the whole (huge) bill because they voided the warranty. Not worth it to me.

1 Like

You don’t want to modify the computer program if the vehicle is still under warranty. Doing this will give the manufacturer a reason not to honor the warranty should there be an issue while the vehicle is still under warranty.

Tester

I agree with the prior responses. Don’t put your warranty in jeopardy with an add-on gizmo or reprogramming of any type. If Dodge finds any tampering (they can and will) they will void the warranty.

I seriously doubt any aftermarket company can develop an engine management program that works better than the one Chrysler spent $millions$ developing…Reprogramming the computer may make it run a little DIFFERENT, but I seriously doubt it runs any better…

1 Like

we had a poster on here complaining about the damage they done to their Ford truck because of the Bully Dog ECU tuner they used on it to boost performance. Ford denied the warranty claim on it

1 Like

Why would you think Dodge has not look at all the options and figured out the ideal programming?

1 Like

For the record. The chips actually don’t mess with the programming. All they do is load different parameters for the program to use. It kinda fakes the program out into thinking the vehicle is running different then it actually is…this may cause the computer to dump more gas into the system for more performance. Or it may adjust the timing a little differently.

It won’t help. Try not to reformulate a computer. Your truck’s power is a product of the gear ratios in the axles. A 3/4 ton pickup is more than capable of doing the job without adding something that could waste fuel. You will not get any improvement in fuel economy.

You didn’t choose a 3/4 ton pickup for gas mileage. You chose it for towing or carrying. Combining hyper and tech means you would be paying for superior buzz words. The only word missing is turbo.

I agree with the others. Using a tuner or power adder of any kind will give Chrysler the perfect excuse to not honor your warranty should something (anything) go wrong with your truck. The guy on here a few months back installed a diesel programmer on his brand new Ford Power Stroke and was stuck with a $20k repair bill when his engine kicked the bucket with 5k miles on the odometer. It’s not worth the risk. If you want to try something like this to see what happens, try it on something that’s not so new, nice, and under factory warranty.

1 Like

Increases in both power and gas mileage are possible, but that will only happen if exhaust emissions are ignored. I don’t know what Hypertech does with adhering to emission requirements.

The warranty concerns stated in this thread are real.
Wait till the warranty is over. Then get one of these if you’re interested in doing it as a hobby. Don’t do it to seeking the impressive gains promised on the website.

It is illegal to void warranty to do to any aftermarket add ons including programmers.

But they do it all the time. Especially when they can blame the add-on device for the damage. Check the Magnuson-Moss Act for yourself. If they can blame the device, you’re screwed. http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

“It is illegal to void warranty to do to any aftermarket add ons including programmers”

So if I modify my Matrix into a top-fuel dragster Toyota will pay for the rebuild after each 1/4 mile run?

Tester

I would NEVER put a HYPERTECH or any other programmer on my vehicle again. This is coming from first hand experience regarding the installation of a HYPERTECH programmer and subsequent voiding of our warranty by GM. We purchased a brand new 2007 3500 Duramax diesel truck. It is used for business, we routinely pull very heavy loads.

In July of 2008 a Hypertech programmer was installed in order to aid in better gas mileage (if anyone remembers diesel was approaching $5.00 per gallon at the time and we filled up on a daily basis). This truck was not “hopped up” for racing and no other aftermarket product was ever installed. Before installation we called Hypertech to confirm installation process and also to confirm that installation would not void the warranty on our brand new $50,000 vehicle. We were told it would not. Their website stated that it would not (the wording has since changed). As those who have been burned by this circumstance now probably realize (too late) - they will cite the Magnussan Moss Warranty - and tell you that “The manufacturer cannot void the warranty unless they show that the actual aftermarket part caused the failure”. You will find thousands of websites selling the HYPERTECH (and other programmers) that will have a FAQ page - that says something like “Will an aftermarket programmer void my warranty?” and they all have similar verbiage citing the Magnussan Moss Act to make you feel safe. Let me tell you our experience and why I would NOT EVER put any of these programmers on any vehicle ever again…ESPECIALLY one that still has the factory warranty left.

Our programmer was on for approximately 1 month when a recall by GM was issued. We removed the programming, reverting back to ORIGINAL factory settings before taking into GM (as we were specifically instructed to do by HYPERTECH - Hmmmm, I wonder why? If I only knew what I know now). Warranty work was completed by GM in September-ish of 2008. The HYPERTECH programming was never reinstalled.

Pan to April 2009 (7 months and 40,000 miles later) - the engine makes a clattering noise. We call the dealer, have them pick up. We are told the engine has “dropped a valve” and it will need to be replaced at a cost of $12,000.00. It was several days later that we get the news…GM has voided our warranty due to “Non-GM codes” in the computer. We call GM complaint line, we talk to the dealer, talk to the regional manager - nothing can be done GM has “put a lock on our warranty”. This takes months and months to go through this process.

We call HYPERTECH, we figure they sold us the product, they said it would not void our warranty - surely they can help. We are referred to an attorney in Atlanta they keep on a corporate retainer. Sure he can help us…at our expense, starting with our own $3,500.00 retainer that he can put on our credit card. No guarantees and he indicated it can get into the 10’s of thousands of dollars to hire engine experts to refute GM’s claim (I believe he indicated most likely $50,000 plus). I would have hoped that HYPERTECH would foot the bill as it’s their product that caused the problem - no such offer is made. If we can get GM to put the reason for warranty denial in writing then they may be able to file suit - GM will not put anything in writing. So you will be caught in a catch 22 situation - HYPERTECH will not assist and GM will not reinstate the warranty and unless you have $50,000 plus to take GM to court good luck.

We talked to multiple engine experts, attorneys (good luck finding one that specializes in warranty claims). All told it took well over a year and several thousand dollars to get to where we are. We are told that either Hypertech or GM should be buying us a new engine but how does a small business (or individual) front the money? We were told in our state, even if we won in court the attorney fees would not be reimbursed, only actual damages / cost of repairs. Awesome…the fees are more than the engine. So, in the end I have had a truck sitting in my garage for over 2 years as I continue to make payments at $833.34 per month (so my credit isn’t damaged). OH and also carrying insurance because GMAC will not allow me to dump insurance when there is still a lien on the truck. All told I have a BIG paperweight that costs me nearly $1,000.00 per month. Thank you so very much HYPERTECH - your product voided our warranty and you provided no backing to get it reinstated.

So that is my story. Hopefully it will save someone the heartache and expense we have experienced.

1 Like

Sorry you had to deal with this, but thanks for telling us. I know your experience will convince people thinking of doing this not to do it better than our opinions ever could.

I’m with caddyman on this one. Much as I’m not a Dodge fan, they spent a lot of money and sweat making the ideal set of compromises for the engine being used in your truck. Nothing is free, and increasing HP will come at the expense of low-RPM torque, fuel mileage, and/or engine longevity. This is especially true in a truck that is likely to carry/tow heavy loads. Horsepower is only part of the picture when dealing with a heavy vehicle. A Corvette engine can crank out around 430 HP (505 HP if you get the Z06), a Caterpillar C-15 will usually churn out 400-500 HP, but while a C-15 will drag an 80,000 lb. tractor-trailer all over the country, a Corvette engine will not.

I fully agree with not using one of these products on a vehicle that’s in warranty. That said, I use a “Predator” tuner on my 300C (different brand than Hypertech), and am pleased with the results. The 91 octane tune provides better performance and slightly better economy, and allows firming up the shifts and all kinds of other adjustments. Custom, tested tunes for my vehicle can be downloaded from the company’s website, and they will create a custom tune for you free of charge. You do have to pay attention to what you’re doing. When I began using the higher performance tune, I used the enhanced diagnostics on the device to monitor spark knock and temps. I have not had any ill results, but I’m only looking for a little boost, not the most extreme performance I can wring from the vehicle.

So I guess the moral of the story is that you can somewhat improve on the factory performance, which is set up for a compromise of economy, emissions, and performance, as long as you know what you want and monitor the results. Typically you will be sacrificing one for the other–eg. if you want performance, you will usually suffer reduced fuel economy, or at least have to use higher priced fuel. If you want economy, usually performance will suffer. I think that the manufacturer mostly knows best, but newer vehicles are probably already leaning toward better economy to meet CAFE requirements and the public’s perception that gas mileage is everything.

2009 dodge 3500 dually, auto full slt package. 6.7 Cummins. 70,000 miles . Presently was getting at best 19.1 mph driving 60 to 65 mph no load. Installed a Delete kit and exhaust system with live wire 5 stage switch and programmer. In 1 setting g I now get documented 25.8 mph on same driving . In tow mode pulling7500 lb fifth wheel 11.9 mpg all day. Truck is totally stock except for programmer. FYI I worked in major dealer shops, Diesel ASE certified master tech. GM tech for 10 of them years working in truck department. Dealers are so full of crap. They try to scare the public into thinking your programmer caused your problem. In most every case I have ever seen unless you dog the crap out of your vehicle, programmers are fine. As with any piece of equipment you have to assume a responsibility that if your vehicle breaks the dealer cries foul. They will try and find anything and excuse to not pay for a repair. Sorry to say most valve drops or engine failure is do to defect. Look at race cars. Good example. Serious about programmers do your research first and ask yourself is this worth the expense if it goes haywire.