Hypertech Engine Programmer

Yep… except you put in a delete kit and the magic box in a turbo engine. There are too many variables to point to the magic magic box, but I see your point.

The Op had a normally aspirated engine. Much (most) of the power gain on those kits comes from pumping higher boost than the factory thought wise. Removing O2 sensors confuses the ECM, so it either runs lean, rich, or cycles between.

FCA is paying millions this year for low corporate MPG and trying to spend billions more to buy credits. If there was a legal magic cure, they’d be on every Dodge. If you avoid smog tests, and some nosy doesn’t rat you out, you can be fine. But you can’t blame the dealer. They don’t want warranty claims, but especially if the factory will reject paying because of engine mods.

What is “more boost” on a naturally aspirated engine?

Factory programming does leave some engine performance on the table. A lot of performance in a turbocharged engine. Not so much in a naturally aspirated engine. Still, on a na engine, timing can be adjusted (which might require the use of higher octane fuel rather than factory recommended 87), and part throttle shift points can be stretched out (better for performance, but the factory attempts to achieve better mpg by having the trans shift into higher gears early), among other things. I don’t think tuners ignore the oxygen sensors (or other sensors). They just change some of the factory parameters of the computer. I have never driven a tuned na engine. From what I’ve seen, the performance gains on 87 octane aren’t enough to justify tuning.

I have driven tuned turbo diesels, and if I owned one, I’d be tempted to tune it. The turbo is key. Tuners can add boost on a turbocharged vehicle, so gains are impressive. Whether adding boost is safe for the engine or not, is open to debate. I’m sure adding some is safe. But how much?

As far as warranty claims, I don’t blame manufacturers for denying a warranty claim if the engine control parameters are altered. The factory set timing and/or boost levels at a certain level. Altering them (enough) could certainly damage the engine. Altering them the right amount can increase performance (albeit possibly at the expense of fuel mileage, possibly long term engine longevity, or necessitating higher octane fuel on a gas engine).

My opinion, if you don’t plan on keeping your vehicle for over 200k miles like a lot of members here (myself included), and you think the performance gains are enough that you’re willing to forego engine warranty (whether directly caused by the tuner or not), tune away.

Sorry, the second line of that was in reference to DrPhil’s kit. His diesel has a turbo and is dialed back to keep it from smoking like a Southern BBQ. (Tougher standards in 2007, worse in 2010.) That system was eliminated by the remap and removal of the cat. It gets a decent boost in power, but at a cost.

As I understand that engine, the mod can lead to carbon buildup and a premature fail of a part in the turbo system. I think we had one of those problems from an Op about a month ago.

Gotcha.

I will say, the tuned diesel’s I’ve driven are pretty impressive. Both are Cummins engines with over 400k miles, although I have no idea how many of those miles were driven with the tune. The clutch slips badly in one of the trucks. Too much torque. In 6th gear, even! So like I said, I don’t blame manufacturers for voiding the warranty. Although the clutch is way out of warranty at over 400k (if original).

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s not pleasant to be around those stinkers. It’s a very popular mod here. There was a guy who did that to his Dodge and, to make it “better”, he turned his exhaust to the right. Somehow, at least 6 times, he pulled up beside me at the same stop light… exhaust pointed right at the driver’s window.

I think it was on purpose. I may have gotten the last laugh. That truck only lasted about a year, then disappeared.

These trucks are older and may not have had to be “deleted” like the newer models. No dpf system, I don’t think. Still I’m sure emissions are higher. More boost, you’ll need more fuel, right? And I did notice some black smoke in the rear view mirror when I was feeling the torque. But very satisfying to mash the throttle in overdrive and be able to accelerate from 50 mph to 65 mph up fairly steep hills with no downshifting!

But fuel mileage is apparently better on the highway. Not sure how…

I’d be very tempted to use an aftermarket tuner if I had a turbo diesel. Fortunately, I’ll probably never own one. I don’t really need one and the purchase price is way out of my comfort zone.

Some of them don’t smoke terribly and it’s interesting to see them accelerate like a gas powered model… very loud, too. I do wish they’d cut their engines in the drive thru. (Probably a glitch in the programming, or a cat delete.) I’ve been in line thinking, “if I could only catch those fumes, I could stop using fuel.”

I think the MPG increase is from the extra HP. I assume it would be in not having to press as hard on the accelerator while cruising.

My second reply. My tuner is EFI LIVEWIRE with the 5 position on the fly programming. I only run my in off position which no load it achieves 25.8 miles per gal at 60 to 65 hwy. 18.7 in town . I pull a 7500 lb 5th wheel at 65 to 75 mph and get 11.7 mpg…in position #2 I run in off position and can see no smoke in off position and in fact it just passed emissions in Denver to get my license plate. Now when you put it in 2 position to pull trailer still no visible smoke on trailer siding. Position 4 and five hold on. Lots of power and smoke. I prefer not to dog my truck and drive like grandpa. I only did it for fuel economy.

I have a 2002 dodge 1500 5.9 automatic. It has a top brand with monitor and no it’s not worth the plastic it was made from. See hardly any improvement.