Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars

Personally, with the success Teslas has had in developing plug in (100% electric) technology to the point where their offering has range and performance well in excess of the average driver’s daily needs, and they’re due to release a larger vehicle, I see that as becoming far more common. Yes, electrics still have some drawbacks, but once longevity of the power packs has been achieved and cost comes down I think they’ll become common.

For the immediate future I see gas/electric hybrids as continuing to becme more common.

One caveat: with the economy continuing to sink if Tata ir anyone else manages to deliver a sub-$6000 vehicle in the U.S. it’ll pull the bottom out of the market and hybrids and other new Green technologies will stall. Remember that the VW Beetle was a huge success and took over the bottom end of the market because it was a dirt-cheap means of transportation. This could happen again, especially in these economic times.

I think that most have a 440V feed line off the street. It’s a matter of how it is distributed through the breakers. You can’t get 440V breakers at your local home products store, though. I’m reluctant to work with it.

I Think I remember hearing that the Tesla batteries are just a bunch of computer lap Top batteries strung together. Hell my Dell Inspiron Li-Ion battery had Pooped the bed after two years and cost over $100.00 just to replace one. How many of these batteries are needed to power the Tesla? There is absolutely no reason to waste time and money on building electric cars seeing how simplistic they are to build. Only research on battery technology is worth while.

Its a transformer thing at the street.

Here is another Top Gear video reviewing the Tesla Sports Car. I will say that there was some controversy about the “stagging” of the vehicle loosing power. The broken Brake system was in fact a blown fuse.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/top-gear-reviews-the-tesla-roadster/4052367588

Here is a story from the Guardian on the review.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/24/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-tesla-electric-car

They’re sort of like thousands of laptop batteries strung together, however it isn;t that simple. While Lithium-Ion batteries have very high energy density, they also generate heat under load, and a sophisticated cooliing system had to be developed that would protect a hot cell’s neighbors from becoming collateral damage.

Many argued that landing a man on the moon was a waste of time and money. But countless technologiies that we now take for granted that make modern technology possible originated in the space race. The evolution of electric cars will, I hope, be the impetus behind the evolution of electrical storage technologies.

Besides, many densely populated cities in other parts of the world are banning (or considering banning) gasoline powered vehicles. Having up-and-operating electric car technologies will make a manufacturer a player in those cities. Not having them will eliminate tham as a competitor.

“Many argued that landing a man on the moon was a waste of time and money. But countless technologiies that we now take for granted that make modern technology possible originated in the space race. The evolution of electric cars will, I hope, be the impetus behind the evolution of electrical storage technologies.”

Don’t forget Li-ion batteries when talking about the Space Biz… Just about every satellite launched used them. Big ones, too. Now if only they could mass produce them…

Many of the preceding posts claiming superiority of fuel cells over batteries seem to assume that battery technology will not advance.

For my part, I was addressing the exact opposite position, that fuel cell technology had issues that could not be resolved and batteries held the better promise for the future. In a prior thread I argued that battery technology could improve to the point that we might even have replaceable packs to overcome the charge time issue. A number of people poo-pooed that assertion. The point I was making here is that fuel cell technology continues to advance as well. I don’t see why we need to ride one horse over the other at this stage. Both are promising but I would prefer the fuel cell myself based on where it stands today. The thought of shouldering the cost for battery replacement or recycling is too much risk for me.