Hydrogen cars

Jt…you are absolutely right. I know of several examples in other areas. The FDA often has their hands tied and can often only respond to requests and submissions by entities responsible for bringing these drugs to market. It is just the way it is in our free market society…good and bad. It comes with the territory and but I feel more should done when public health is significantly affected. It is a balancing act IMO.

The drug companies spend more on marketing and advertising than they do on research…They are not interested in curing people of cancer…All they care about is developing another “Billion Dollar Drug”… The purpose of the drug is unimportant as long as it has that billion dollar sales potential…

I have a hard time accepting that the same drug companies that helped wipe out small pox, polio, made juvenile diabetes something that could be treated instead of a death sentence, etc, are refusing to release a cure for cancer because it is more profitable to keep cancer around. I think it’s a lot more likely that they simply don’t have a cure for cancer yet.
Maybe I just haven’t been brainwashed into hating capitalism yet. Others dwell on the gap between the haves and have-nots, I see what the have-nots in America actually have. Indoor plumbing, color tv’s often more than one, our “poor” drive cars, have cell phones, and their food is so affordable that what was one a status symbol for the idle rich is now an affliction of our poor, obesity.
I worked with a person who actually was able to leave the Soviet Union and emmigrated to America. He was already in his 60’s when he came here and the first thing he did was learn to drive. Yes, learn to drive! He had never driven a car before. He said “if I owned a car in Russia, the police would have been at my door making me explain where I got the money from.”

There are MILLIONS of Americans who don’t know how to drive. I have at least 20 cousins who don’t drive. Born, raised and lived all their lives in NYC.

Mike…I think in their case it (NYC) might be an un-acquired skill. Much like we Mainers “wrongly” think that Canadian tourists don’t know how to drive either.

BLE…“I have a hard time accepting that the same drug companies that helped wipe out small pox, polio, made juvenile diabetes something that could be treated instead of a death sentence, etc,”

Drug companies have a roll in financing research as does the govt. and distributing drugs it’s true., But it’s just a role and influenced greatly by profit motivation. One of their routine practices is to hold back distribution of more beneficial drugs they hold exclusive rights to until patterns of previous lines of drugs have run out. They are often held back for long periods of time. According to one FDA official, companies sponsoring drug testing, often hold back results for FDA approval, which many of us feel is often for that expressed reason.

That is a very reasonable practice to maximize profits. But, those on the other end along with their families waiting for better treatment results have different points of view. No one “hates” capitalism; it’s not that black and white. But many on the other end feel there is a role for govt. intervention at times.

I saw this and wanted you guys opinion if this would be worth the money and/or even really help with mileage and power. http://mileageshop.com/

@Roadhawg - total and complete scam…hope your not ‘advertising’ it…

Well, I suppose I could always use some butt connectors, but everything else on the linked site is a total waste of money.

“I have a hard time accepting that the same drug companies that helped wipe out small pox, polio, made juvenile diabetes something that could be treated instead of a death sentence, etc, are refusing to release a cure for cancer because it is more profitable to keep cancer around. I think it’s a lot more likely that they simply don’t have a cure for cancer yet.”

“The Drug Companies” had NOTHING to do with defeating small pox or polio… University researchers developed these vaccines and for the most part they were distributed free…

So, what’s stopping university researchers from defeating cancer today?

Do we really want to get this far off the track here, cause if its OK, I’ve got a lot to say on this subject, just not sure you all want to hear it.

Generally IMHO, there are two reasons that prevent the major resources, corporate and the government from putting money the most efficiently into medical research. They are, profit considerations for corporations and return on the dollar and political considerations when elected officials have to submitt budgets on these hot button issues. Stem cell and gene therapy research is expensive with a low profit expectation and politically tough for govt budgets to justify come re election time in a conservative environment.

The dirty little secret is that gene therapy for example is used quite regularly for those who can afford it, but classified as experimental treatment in many cases by insurance companies to prevent they having to fund it for their customers. The doctor often looks down the list, and recommends treatments he/she might get reimbursed for, not necessarily the best options.

Bottom line, you need a real empathetic primary care who will help walk you through and recomend all your available options, and, know the politics that surround your health care. In some respects, getting good healthcare differs little from getting a good buy from a car dealer…you need to enter the discussion loaded for bear and be knowlegible.

texases… not scamming at all. A friend sent that to me and I was curious about it. Thanks for the info.

“I have a hard time accepting that the same drug companies that helped wipe out small pox, polio, made juvenile diabetes something that could be treated instead of a death sentence, etc, are refusing to release a cure for cancer because it is more profitable to keep cancer around. I think it’s a lot more likely that they simply don’t have a cure for cancer yet.”

Many cancers have cures, and the drug companies won’t manufacture the drugs because the can’t make money. It’s not that they are heartless, but that the management will be fired by the board of directors for making poor business decisions.

“So, what’s stopping university researchers from defeating cancer today?”

They ran out of funding. The National Institutes of Health would fund that research if they could, but the US Government isn’t suppose to do that sort of stuff. If it’s such a good idea, then free enterprise should make it happen. Didn’t you get the memo? And besides, we’re cutting out useless, Federal expenditures like this.

Curing cancer would be an economic DISASTER for the entire medical service industry…They have NEVER enjoyed a Gravy Train like this…

As long as people are mortal, there will be plenty of work for the medical service industry. I’m not buying this conspiracy theory.
One reason cancer and alzheimers affects so many people today is because the medical profession has wiped out most of the things that struck people down before they were old enough to get these diseases.

I also think that Oswald shot JFK, mostly because I find nothing particularly remarkable about hitting a man sized target from 80 yards away with a milsurp bolt action rifle.

“Curing cancer would be an economic DISASTER for the entire medical service industry…”

No, it would not be a disaster. They would love it, and are working hard to make all forms of cancer curable, rather than just the many are are now curable. Those research scientists working on cancer cures would move to other large causes for mortality.

We’re the Human Race…there will always be a problem we need fixing, and if there’ snot a problem, we can make one up…like obesity. There are actually drugs to help control a problem that can be solved for the vast majority by simply walking more, and leaving the car parked (yes, there are actual medical reasons for it, and I’m not talking about those).

“snot a problem”

Winter’s coming, and I know we will all need more tissues. :wink:

Yes, it WOULD be a disaster…Today, over half the dollar volume of ALL medical treatment involves “fighting cancer”…Something like 80% of a persons total lifetime medical expenses occur during the last year of their lives…It’s the DOCTORS who inherit, not your kids…