Hybrid or Gas Fuzzy Math

Ii agree with JT, it’s an “apples & oranges” comparison. They’re entirely different cars and those who buy them have entirely different motivations. And even different buyers of each car can have different motivations. Many buy a Yaris because it’s a dirt-cheap way to get from point A to point B. Many young folks actually like econoboxes… it leaves them more money for dating! Many movie stars bought Priuses to make a statement.

The Prius C is based on the Yaris, and is smaller than the regular Prius.

Still looks like a green bean.

At this point since gas prices are so low that hybrid cars are being deeply discounted. It might actually be a good time to buy one.

When we were buying our CPO Sonata, I could have gotten the hybrid version for ~$1K more. I hadn’t done any research in the Hyundai hybrid system and wasn’t sure if it is going to be as reliable as a Prius, so I passed but I still wonder (average gas mileage on the ICE is 25 MPG and the hybrid 35 MPG).

I definitly dont buy a car based on what movie stars buy.
BTW,a Guy told me He found gas @ 1.95 a gal near here.

I paid $2.35 today. Seemed like it was just $2.60 a few days ago.

Celebrate! For a few years there I thought I wouldn’t be able to afford to drive anywhere anymore!

Fuel prices are so low, maybe it’s time for that IH CXT Crew Cab.

I’ve actually seen one of these. A local company has one for promotional purposes. Those things are HUGE!!

Seen em before too,but I was never able to guess,the purpose or logic.

It’s like Boss Hoss (Chevy V-8 engine on two wheels) motorcycles or that V-10 motorcycle monstrosity that Chrysler made a concept vehicle of. There is no purpose or logic.
I’ve always said that some of these over the top huge motorcycles, rather than being the ultimate motorcycle, instead, miss the whole point of a motorcycle.
The only real purpose of vehicles like these is to show the world how much disposable income you have, and eventually, you wise up and realize the world doesn’t care.

I've actually seen one of these. A local company has one for promotional purposes. Those things are HUGE!!

I think we saw the same one…Basically a cross between a tractor trailer and a pickup. You need a CDL license to drive it.

I agree with others about the comparison they used (Yaris vs Prius). a better comparison would be the Civic to the hybrid Civic…orCamry vs Hybrid Camry. I think you’ll find the break even point much closer to then 52k mile mark (IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT COMMUTE). If most of what you drive is highway…then that number goes much higher.

I just looked at the numbers comparing a Camry XLE Hybrid and a regular Camry XLE 4 cylinder. the combined mileage numbers were 40 and 28 respectively. The price difference was $3497 for KBB’s “what people paid.” That difference would buy a lot of gas at today’s prices. Almost 1500 gallons or about 40,000 miles for the regular Camry before the Hybrid even leaves the garage.

It isn’t the Hair Shirt the Prius is, since most won’t even realize it’s a hybrid. It will save you in fuel cost over the life of the car as long as maintenance of the more complicated hybrid system doesn’t eat that up. The Prius’ history seems to be pretty decent on that front.

Yes the combined was 40 and 28. But as I said…and have said many many times in this forum…if you have the right commute (mainly city/rural)…then the gas mileage difference is much greater…43 and 25. The numbers get much closer. Based on the cost difference of $3500 and gas price of $2.50…the break even number is down around 70,000. For my wife that would be 4 years.

The Civic has an even greater margin of 44 and 30 which brings the number closer.

The Lexus has an even wider margin of 16mpg…

So it really depends on the vehicle choices and your commute.

We almost bought a Camry Hybrid back in 07…but wife bought the ES-350 instead…the main reason was extreme lack of trunk space. Now that has changed since they went to the Lithium batteries.

Since I keep cars 10+ years, a payout of 5 years or less is fine with me. And I fill up much less frequently, another plus.

Since I keep cars 10+ years, a payout of 5 years or less is fine with me. And I fill up much less frequently, another plus.

Same here. When wife is ready to buy another vehicle we’ll probably get a hybrid. But that’s a few years in the future.

Mike, the one I’m thinking of is red, with the company name painted all over it, owned and driven by a company in Allenstown. Its purpose is to get attention, and man, does it get attention!

If a private owner is driving his own truck, I don’t think a CDL is required. But there’s no question that tractor-trailer training would be a great idea. You can’t drive this thing like you’d drive a regular pickup.

If a private owner is driving his own truck, I don't think a CDL is required.

According to this website you don’t need a CDL. If it was 2lbs heavier…then you would. So leave out the Fuzzy-Dice option when you purchase one.

Glenn Curtiss was the fastest man in the world until 1911 on his V8 motorcycle:

I’ll betcha that Glenn Curtiss’s V8 motorcycle didn’t weigh 1200 pounds. One thing that really hits you when you go to a vintage motorcycle show is just how large motorcycles did not used to be.
Lately they have gone beyond silly big and have gotten stupid big. They are missing the whole point of a motorcycle.