Humming on 2003 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L

chrysler

I have a 2003 Town & Country with 90k miles. I live in Florida. Yesterday, I started hearing a humming noise. The noise is evident when the engine is running. Radio & a/c turned off and is there if the car is running or standing still. It does not appear to get louder or softer with change in speed or direction. From what I can tell, it sounds like it is outside and loudest at the left rear wheel well. I see that some experience similar sounds from the power steering, but the sound does not at all seem to come from the engine compartment. The reason I mentioned I live in Florida is that we hit the mid-90’s this week and maybe high hot temperatures are affecting this also.

Just a thought does this car have a automatic suspension leveling system?

I don’t think so.

Fuel pump.

It might be the fuel pump or an idler or tensioner pully/pivot for the serperntine belt.

I believe it is the fuel pump as well… I’ll be changing it tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

Thank you for all who responded.

Can you please let me know what they determined was wrong with your car? I have the exact same problem in the same area. It also just recently started with the high temps 90+.

Our '97 Grand Caravan made 125K before the same sound appeared. $500 later a new fuel pump cleared the problem and it is running great.

I too am having this metalic, high pitched, ringing noise with my 2003 T&C. I’ve been told it is common complaint and it’s the fuel pump. Even though I have and extended warranty I can’t find a dealer who will replace it until the quits working altogether. Let me know what your experience has been. The van only has 47,000 miles on it.