Humming noise - front of car

Hi everyone. This issue is officially driving me insane.

Car info - Audi A3 2015, 47k miles on it. FWD.

There’s a loud humming noise coming from the front of the car, it sounds like it’s something that spins, although I can’t be sure. It seems to get progressively worse as the speed increases. Definitely low pitch, whirring almost like it is associated with the movement of the car but I’m not a mechanic

Took it to a mechanic and he thought it might be a wheel bearing but changing it did nothing. He didn’t charge me.

Then we thought it might be a buckled alloy, so I replaced that and still no difference. Finally, I replaced both front tyres and nothing.

What else apart from alloys, tyres and wheel bearings can this issue be? When he had a look there was nothing that stood out to him. Taking it on Monday to have another look after eliminating those issues.

It might help a bit to know what kind of car is involved, how many miles on it, and whether or not this noise is present only when moving or if it is present with engine idling and car stationary.

3 Likes

+1 to @ok4450, tell us more about the car. I recently had a hum/whistle on my 2016 Dodge Caravan. It happened above 30mph and would increase intensity if facing direct wind, was not related to engine speed, downshifting did not change it, I tried lots of things. I had it at the shop for a routine oil change and they could not hear it (their hearing has to be a lot worse than mine :wink: )
It turns out that under the hood, the plastic cowling from the vents/wipers had a thin piece of sticky foam connecting it to another piece of plastic. Both ran the width of the engine compartment. The sticky foam lost it’s sticky and now the gap was a whistle. I covered it with duct tape and the whistle stopped. Real PITA to figure that one out.

Send us a sound clip.

Sorry, first time using the site and I thought those details would show.

So the car is an Audi A3, 47k miles on it. The noise is present whilst rolling only, not whilst in neutral or stationary. Both the mechanic and the guy at the tyre shop ruled out the alloys, wheel bearings and the tyres.

The sound seems to get worse with speed for sure. Doesn’t matter if it is in a straight line or around a bend, it’s there.

Sorry, first time using the site and I thought those details would show.

So the car is an Audi A3, 47k miles on it. The noise is present whilst rolling only, not whilst in neutral or stationary. Both the mechanic and the guy at the tyre shop ruled out the alloys, wheel bearings and the tyres.

The sound seems to get worse with speed for sure. Doesn’t matter if it is in a straight line or around a bend, it’s there. It is a low pitched humming noise that seems to whir

Wheel bearings will generally sound louder if you are turning away from the bad bearing as that puts more weight on it. Could be a brake pad that is not retracting enough for whatever reason.

Have your mechanic put the car on a frame lift with it running in gear .Have him walk aroud underneath if with a mechanics stethoscope.