Humming brakes on minivan

Hi! Got a question about my humming brakes on my 2005 Kia Sedona. After driving for an hour of more, my brakes seem to hum (kinda sounds like JAKE BRAKES) at the end of the braking. It’s annoying! We have had our mechanic check the brakes ("they’re fine–had some brake dust) and have asked another mechanic (“could be a foreign object or dust on the brakes”). It’s annoying and scarey for everyone in the vehicle. Is there something that can be done to prevent this? Is it dangerous?

I am no expert, but I would guess that it has something to do with the ABS (antilock braking system). I suggest letting your mechanic drive it and you ride along with him until it happens (maybe not for a whole hour, but have it running for a while before you get there to save him time). Then he will have a better idea what to look for.

You might have a brake caliper that is dragging, bringing a rotor to the verge of overheating. Take a cruise on the highway for a bit, then coast to a stop using the brakes as little as possible. Carefully feel each wheel and see if one is hotter than the others. Has your gas mileage been lower lately?

I hate to throw parts at a problem, but a new set of brake pads might be in order.