Http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/cartalk/posts/list/1976010.page

4/24/2010-

RE: TAKING CURVES RESPONSES > 12/08

by: jtsanders 12/06/2008 4:12:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: TAKING CURVES

I agree. There is no centrifugal force, only centripital and your description is correct. Remember that forces are not scalar quantities, but directed (vector) quantities. If the positive dierction is towrds the origin of the arc, the negative direction is away from the origin.

by: texases 12/08/2008 1:15:46 PM

by: neburex 12/13/2008 3:35:53 PM

When you turn it takes more power to maintain the same speed. As you turn the wheel for the curve you’ve already slowed a little. Adding a little gas to maintain the same speed you had before the turn makes for a better balanced car and then use the steering only to make the small correction necessary to maintain the turn. Sorry that this so long, but the best I can do given that there are books written on just these themes.

MY FINAL WORD ON THE MATTER-(DAN CAMMAROTO)

WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS -NOTED ABOVE- I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT YOU GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF TURKEYS ! ! !

I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO TOM & RAY BUT APPARENTLY IT WENT OUT TO THE GENERAL POPULATION OF “CAR GUYS”

WANNA-BE S.

SOME OF YOU WERE OBJECTIVE, SOME WERE NASTY. AND SOME -THOUGH FEW- WERE ASTUTE.

I SUGGEST THAT ALL YOU GUYS WHO PUT ME DOWN OR TRIED TO ‘HELP’ -EXCEPT FOR THOSE WHO BENIGNLY DISAGREED (THOUGH YOU TOO WERE INCORRECT)- SHOULD PROBABLY STOP

DRIVING ALTOGETHER.

WHILE I WILL NOT SAY THAT I DO THINGS

‘MY WAY’ OR NOT, I WILL SAY THAT -NOW

THAT SOME TIME HAS PASSED- I WAS, BY & LARGE, REALLY TICKED AT MOST OF YOU BOZOS.

PLEASE JUST STOP DRIVING -(LORD KNOWS WHAT OTHER INCORRECT THINGS YOU DO ON THE ROAD !!! )- AND, BY ALL MEANS, DON’T BOTHER TO RETALIATE.

I?M DONE W/ THIS SECTION OF THE SITE, SO YOUR NASTY ?BACK-TALK’, WILL

GO UNREAD & UNHEEDED. SINCERELY, DC

Hmmm…Despite Mr. Cammaroto’s claims to the contrary, I would be willing to make a small wager that he will return to read the responses to his…spirited…comments.

So, Mr. Cammaroto, what has transpired since your last post—more than one year ago–on this topic?
Why did it take you so long to return to this topic?
And, why have your position on the topic and your level of civility changed so drastically in the interim?

Back on December 13, 2008, you posted the following:

“12/14/08- Geez, Fellas, I feel like I been drawn-and-quartered AND
tarred-and-feathered. Mr. Cammaroto -me- drives a humble 2004 Dodge SX2 .0, FYI.
OK, Alright ! I get it. I’ll mend my ways (and ‘stay out of town’ !).
Just one question for all of you- My letter is originally addressed to
’CAR-CARE P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L-S’. None of you fine gents advised in
your admonitions whether or not you were / are ‘professionals’- That is:
technicians, engineers, auto repairmen.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. . . .
It’s just that I was looking for individuals who actually work on cars
for a living or are perhaps driving instructors.
But, anyway, thanks again for your time, energy and concern.
Sincerely, Dan Cammaroto”

May I suggest that you cut back on your caffeine intake?

Okay, lets see if I can piece this together…

The OP posted a discussion a year ago on the question of whether centrifugal force exists. Pursuant to its relationship to cornering. We debated.

A year later the OP is lambasting some of the respondants for being rude. Unfortunately, the OP has not been kind enough to link us to the original thread.

He wanted to hear only from “professionals”…which he defines as either technicians, engineers and auto repairment or just guys who work on cars…I’m unsure which.

Okay, I’m lost. Perhaps a year from now we’ll get whatever the question is (was?) resolved. Unless, of course, they legalize marjuana and the OP’s nerves calm down.

Signed: A. Turkey

PostScript: nice job tracking this down, VDC.

“Okay, I’m lost. Perhaps a year from now we’ll get whatever the question is (was?) resolved. Unless, of course, they legalize marjuana and the OP’s nerves calm down.”

I’m lost, too, and I’m not sure that I’m smart enough to find the discussion from long ago. BTW, Thorazine has a calmng influence as well, but it needs to be prescribed by a psychiatrist.

You mean a doctor…it has to be prescribed by a doctor…or a pharmacist on marijuana.