How to remove, clean, and replace car battery terminals?

How to clean bttery terminals and posts on a 2013 Honda Fit automatic 5 speed?

Liza , rather then post a long description of how to do that just put ( cleaning battery terminals ) in your search engine and you will fine very good you tube videos showing just how to do that . That way you can decide which method you are comfortable with.

OK. Will do.

First, go to a parts store and buy a battery terminal/post cleaner.

And then watch this video.

Tester

One more question. Does it mean anything in particular that the fairly small amount of corrosion only seems to be on the neg terminal (there is what I think is pinkish rewd battery protectant spray on the pos terminal). TY

Just clean both of them and keep checking them when you do your weekly oil level check.

I recommend always wearing safety glasses when working with a battery, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

Good advice .

It may be the battery has lost it’s seal by the terminal that is corroded. You may also wish to use a memory saver when disconnecting the terminals.

I also put a thin layer of dielectric grease on the terminals before I reconnect them after I clean them. Haven’t had any corrosion issues since I started doing that

1 Like

Wow, thanks to all of you. Good ideas. I had to cdo a ittle homework on a memory saver, but it seems like a pretty simple thing.

I miss the Car Talk Show, but am happy I have found you.

LB

How old is the battery?

For anyone interested super gluing a penny to the top at each post after thoroughly cleaning the posts and connectors will significantly reduce the need to disassemble and clean the connection. The corrosion will somehow accumulate on the copper and can be easily wiped off. It seemed worthwhile with the old lead cable ends but it is especially worthwhile with the sheet metal hose clamp style connectors.

Battery is exactly 3 years old. But it’s hot/humid here, and in summer I do too many short trip. (In cooler weather–well, such as FL gets cooler weather–I can do more on my bicycle.)

I never used to believe in it, but after many successful uses I now connect the terminals (after cleaning) and hit them with a can of “Battery Terminal Protector” Many brands available (Permatex, CRC, etc.) Really seems to keep corrosion at bay.

I clean them with baking soda and water and coat them with Vaseline when done. Same jar I have had in the garage since I used to use on the distributor points rubbing block.

A 3 year old battery in the Florida climate is probably nearing the end of its life. Is the problem you are trying to solve that the engine sometimes fails to crank – you don’t hear that rrr rrrr sound – with the key in “start”. Sometime you just hear a click? If so, cleaning the battery posts and terminals will usually help (if it hasn’t been done recently), but won’t renew a worn out battery. If it helps, allows the car to start, but you still have a slow crank, good idea to have the battery tested. It’s called a load or conductance test. If the battery is worn out you’ll soon find yourself stranded somewhere with a car that won’t start, something best avoided. Suggest to not jump start your Fit btw, sometimes causes electrical system problems requiring significant expense to repair. .

Thats been a while!

You could check w/ your shop, too. My tire shop, dealer, and auto parts store cleans/tests free of charge.

Did you notice the OP asked how to this themselves?

Tester