How to find normal idle speed for Civic 8th gen?

My 2011 Civic LX (8th gen) has a 660-670rpm idle in Park, with no loads, warmed till radiator fan comes on. Have been searching the net for an hour and can’t find any definitive reference for normal warmed-up idle speed for this R18A engine. Can anyone direct me to good source? BTW, just did Honda throttle-position-relearn procedure, and it didn’t change the idle. I suspect that idle may be a bit low, but am in process of ruling out possibilities to explain a tad excessive vibration, like loose engine mounts. Would like to just confirm if this is normal idle speed.

Have you tried cleaning the electronic throttle body?

That what controls the idle speed.

Tester

1 Like

Around 600-700 RPMs at idle in Park sounds about right to me. What makes you think there’s a problem?

On a 2011, you may be just experienced Older Car Syndrome, where stuff doesn’t run like when it was new.

2 Likes

The best source is likely sitting right next to your head when you are working under the hood of your Honda. Unless your Civic was in a collision, there should be an emissions-related label on the underside of the hood. It might look slightly different from this GM label, but it should be reasonably similar:

1 Like

This one might look more similar to the label that is glued to the underside of your hood.

2 Likes

That emission sticker is for a 1986 model year vehicle.

Back when you COULD adjust the idle speed.

Tester

2 Likes

Is the idle speed on the OP’s 2011 Civic manually adjustable?
If not, then your suggestion of cleaning the throttle body is likely the only solution.

1 Like

dcc314e74f19be3a06b3c2d3e944e0aa

This is for a 2005 model year Honda.

Tester

3 Likes

For the 1.8 L w/EPS I’m seeing 670 +/- 50 rpm , warm engine, trans in neutral, no unnecessarily electrical loads. Will probably increase a little if you turn the headlights on bright.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for replies on this. My 2011 Civic does not have the idle speed posted on the emissions control info. I’ll check/clean the throttle body when I’m tooling around there next. Doing the throttle relearn procedure may have raised the idle a tad. Now that I’ve driven it quite a bit since, I think I am noticing fewer vibrations.

1 Like