How to explain how to drive a manual in 5-10 min

I have to deliver a “how-to” speech in a class, and against my better judgement I chose the topic “how to correctly operate a manual transmission.”

Here’s my basic outline,

I. Intro

-What is a manual transmission?

-Benefits of learning

-Disadvantages

II. Principle of Operation

-Gear ratios

-Gear reduction

-Car anatomy (diagram with flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, drive-shaft, transmission, etc.)

III. Beginning technique

-Here I explain how to practice getting the car going using ONLY the clutch, emphasizing that the clutch should be released BEFORE getting on the throttle, not at the same time, and not after.

-Basic up-shifts

-Correct downshifting (if time allows)

IV. Conclusion

Since I only have 5-10 to work with, I’m trying to figure out what the “take-home” lesson needs to be.

The point of my speech is to give someone knowledge and a few basic starting techniques to make their learning more efficient if and when they do learn.

Any suggestions?

You painted yourself in a corner with the “5-10 minute limit”. This subject needs at least 45 minutes to cover all the bases you listed…

You can’t really “talk” about how to drive a stick shift. You must get behind the wheel and DO IT!!

I agree with Caddyman, too much material. Eliminate from your talk everything except that which relates to the title. All transmissions have gear ratios, etc. And eliminate downshifting. So now you’re left with

I. Intro
-What is a manual transmission?
-Car anatomy (diagram with flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, drive-shaft, transmission, etc.)

II. Beginning technique
-Here I explain how to practice getting the car going using ONLY the clutch, emphasizing that the clutch should be released BEFORE getting on the throttle, not at the same time, and not after.

-Basic up-shifts

The most basic concept that has to be learned is “how to use the friction zone,” which is the point at which the vehicle starts to move. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s video on the friction zone and how a clutch works is about the best explanation I have seen.

Are you trying to teach them how to drive a manual or rebuild one?

I think you’re getting way too complicated.

Just cover the basics…Difference between auto and manual. And how to shift.

Thanks all,

I find it necessary to cover some technical stuff because one girl didn’t know what a manual transmission was, at all.

We had to pick each others topics from a hat and write an impromptu introduction.

This girl came over to me and just kinda gave me a blank look.

I’m just going to say something like, cars need gear ratios because without them it would be hard as hell to get going from a stop and you would be screaming along at 5,000 RPM at 60 mph.

I have the whole thing condensed into 8 slides, Thanks for all the input.