How to change brake calipers?

How does one go about changing brake calipers? I understand how to unbolt the two bolts that hold the caliper on the rotor, but is it as simple as unconnecting the old caliper and connecting the new one? This is on a '94 Trooper by the way. Also, this would be for the rear wheels, and its a 4x4 if that matters? If anyone could give me a good, detailed explanation of the process, it would be greatly appreciated! thanks

It is much easier to buy the Haynes Manual for your car. Study at your own pace. There is a lot of great information in one, even for the untrained.

They even provide lots of helpful pictures…1994?? Take a close look at the rubber brake fluid hoses (flex lines) that connect the calipers to the steel lines. You might want to replace those too, and of course you must bleed the brakes…

You sure this vehicle has disc brakes in the rear??? Didn’t think the Trooper put disc in the rears until 04.

If disc…yea…basically all you do is unbolt and then put on the new one. Make sure you put the right one on the right side and the left one on the left side. Easiest way to ensure this is when installed correctly the bleeding tic will be at the top of the caliper.

After you install the new caliper you need to bleed all the air out.

Disconnect brake hose from caliper.
Remove parking brake cable as follows:
Disconnect rear brake cable from front cable.
Remove brake cable from cable support bracket.
Disconnect brake cable from brake lever.
Remove lower slide pin.
Remove caliper assembly.

Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
Tighten to specifications.
Push piston into original position by rotating clockwise until it stops, then set piston, aligning uneven section on piston surface with caliper center.
Brake pad is equipped with a pinion. The auto-adjuster becomes inoperable when this pinion is not correctly placed into the indentation of the piston correctly.

I have to agree with Dodgevan that the best approach is to first buy a Haynes manual at the local parts store and review the procedure before starting. Be sure you’re familiar with the process in its entirety and have the proper tools. Far too many people start a job thinking it’ll be obvious and that they’ll be able to do it properly with the tools they have available…a crescent wrench and a pair of pliers.

Brake system are a critical safety item and MUST be done properly. I myself never begin a job that I’ve never done before without first reviewing the procedure and making sure I’m prepared. I recommend it for others too.

A good, detailed process already exists in the manual. And it’s too lengthy to posts here. I suggest getting one before starting.

Don’t forget to turn the car on and press the brake pedal lightly about 10 times to be sure the caliper fills with fluid, then top off the fluid and bleed your brakes properly. If you’re doing this by yourself and no one can come out to press the brake pedal to help you bleed them, buy a set of speedbleeders. They aren’t very expensive, but they are very nice.

Remember when first pressing the pedal not to let it go all the way to the floor - put a block of wood under it. Otherwise the piston in the master cylinder will go farther than normal, and scrape a bunch of junk off the walls, which will get into your brake system and mess things up.

thanks to all who replied, it helps a lot! and i will definitely buy a haynes of chiltons and read up! ive also been watching some instructional videos on the internet to help familiarize m with braking systems…i am so relieved that i can save a couple hundred dollars and do this myself rather than having to pay a professional…(hopefully). thanks again

On many vehicles, if you fill the caliper with fresh brake fluid before installation, connect the brake hose, then open the bleeder valve until brake fluid starts dripping – 20 seconds maybe – you won’t need any further bleeding. With a little care, it may be possible to avoid bleeding entirely. Sometimes that’s useful as with our Mazda Protege which has a broken bleeder valve plugged with a broken Easy-Out in the right front caliper.

But it’s still necessary to pump the brakes to force the caliper piston out to the rotor. And to top off the fluid in the master cylinder if necessary before driving off.

Yes, this can be done, but it’s risky. If you screw up somewhere along the way and introduce air into the brake system without noticing, you do not want to discover your mistake when you’re trying to brake for the first stoplight you hit after you leave home. If you do any work on brakes that involves anything that has fluid in it, they should be bled.

Why do you want to change the calipers? Are they leaking, or freezing on or off. Those are the only reasons to change them.

Got one Haynes and it has been so helpful. but for those car parts, like the caliper, it should be easy…