How often to change oil when I add 1 quart every 1000 miles, 2004 f150

@Rocketman yes, I finally did overhaul that engine (a 6). put in solid lifters. ran it a lot more miles.
I also used to get 3000 miles on a set of tires, because I thought the best driving style was seen in “Thunder Road”. But I did survive.

My brother has a 1999 Ford F 150 that he purchased in 2004. At that time the truck had gone 129,000 miles. He bought it at a good price because of its high .mileage. The truck now has 222,000 miles. It has the original 4.6 engine, has never had the head or pan off the engine and uses a quart every 2000 miles. The rate of oil consumption has been steady over the 93000 miles he has owned the truck…He also owns a 1994 Seville. He purchased the car with 65000 miles and it now has 179000 miles. For the 114000 miles it has consistently used a quart every 1500_miles. I think oil usage is relative to the vehicle. If it stays,the same over a,long period of time and is at or above 1000 miles per quart, I don’t think there is,a real problem. If the oil consumption suddenly increases, then one should incestigate. This is a good reason to check the oil every other fill up.

My 2009 F150 w/ the 3 valve 4.6 Triton does not use a drop of oil btwn changes, and neither does my 2007 Jeep Liberty. If they consumed a little all their lives, It wouldn’t concern me very much. I’ve had consistent oil users in the past that were top-notch cars. BUT… If my truck that never needs an added drop btwn changes for years suddenly called for a quart of oil… I’d crap my pants.
IMO, drastic changes in “vehicle behavior” are always something to be paid attention to. Even if it’s as simple as a new smell or shimmy. Early discovery of major problems has been known to save lots of money and trouble… and maybe a little walking and towing bills.

Dad bought a Chevy pickup with a 454 V8 new back in the 90s. It used oil right off the lot. I don’t recall the amount, but the dealer referred to it as “Slobber”, and said that big blocks and sloppy motors. It ran great… just check the oil once a week.

We have lots GM big blocks in our fleet . . . 7.4 and 8.1

They all use a lot of oil, from day one

Keep them topped up, and there’s no problem

Pass smog with flying colors

I bought a new Ford E-150 with a 4.9l I-6 that burned a quart of oil every 1500 miles from day one until sold with 400,000 miles and the oil was changed monthly at about 7,000 miles. I let it run low the last week of the month with no problem.

On the other hand I built a Ford 460 engine in an F350 work truck and the owner brought it back and was curious how it was never a quart low at 3,000 mile oil changes yet his wifes new cadillac was using a quart every 1,000 miles and the dealer assured him it was normal.