How Not To Install A Spare Tire

If you look closely at the wheel, you can see the center lip that’s suppose to slide onto the hub is pointing out. So the lug studs were bearing all the load.

Lucky for the owner, the flat occurred just a couple of miles from the shop. So no damage was done.

Tester

Taught my daughter how to drive in the snow, and put on a spare, check the fluids and be aware of new noises that indicate something is failing, drivers ed should include those basics, But big butt, had to read the manual for a neighbors car, one fake lugnut you had to unscrew, and remove the cover to get to the real lugnuts. One offset lug would probably solve the issue of putting a wheel on backwards, but then maybe the lugnuts are backwards, can’t fix stupid and nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Perfectly stated.
With your permissions, I may steal the statement at some future occasion. :yum:

1 Like

Now THAT was bad. I’ll bet the paint on the inside walls of the tires didn’t come off. (I assume he painted bot sides of the wheels.)

I never looked at the inside of the tires, but imagine they got painted also.,

Um, what the heck are you talking about?
Did you post the response to the wrong thread?

I think Stargazer was referring to an earlier post in this thread where I said
"And can’t forget the temp that repainted the wheels on my former f250 work truck and managed to put every lug nut on backwards, and it did not take more than a couple of years for the paint to wear off the tires."

Ah, I’ve not it now! Thanks Barky. Apologies to Stargazer. :blush: