How long should I keep my hybrid

I have a 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid with 117,000 miles on it. Recently I have put in a new Matrix pump and hybrid fan battery. all said, I have put a ton of money into the car. Now they are saying that the rear transmission needs attention (whatever that means), is it time to get rid of this car or should I keep it? I haven’t had a car payment in over 2 yrs and I have a 15 year old that I was going to give the car to. Any thoughts?

I Think this is the wrong car for a young man’s first car going from my experance. I would take it to a different mechanic for a second opion if there is somebody out there that knows about your car and its different systems. I don’t know much at all about hybrids. it is nice not having a car payment but where do you draw the line between repairs and and a new car mounthly payment.
Do you know any one that owns the same car and what there wxperance has been as the milage adds up?

Who is “they”? If it’s the dealer, I suggest that you find a private shop to take your truck to. If you don’t know of a good one, ask your friends, neighbors and coworkers for a recommendation. You’ll fine a few that are mentioned frequently, and those are a good place to start. I wouldn’t do anything until you get at lest one more opinion. BTW, what symptoms does the truck have that led “them” to decide you need transmission work?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to take it to the dealer to get the hybrid work done and there is a noise from the rear axle that led them to the transmission need. It does make a loud noise in the back when I accelerate. I have another shop that I plan on taking it to and plan on going there in the next couple of days. I don’t know anyone else with the same car and was hoping that i would find someone on the discussion boards. thanks!

Well you’ve had car payments, just paid it for repairs instead of the car. I dunno but I think it would be nice to have a hybrid under warranty most of the time.

So this is awd? The rear axle issues don’t sound like they have anything to do with the hybrid system. Me, I’d fix it and sell it, it seems to be a troubled vehicle. Get them a simple 4 door intermediate, newer is typically safer.

I have the same car same year. I only have 91,000 miles on it. I have noticed the high cost of taking it to the dealer for repairs and maintenance. I don’t know if its just because I am getting ripped off by the dealer of if its a high maintenance car. probably some of both. I have not hat the problem with the noise in the rear. I hope I don’t. I did get 90,000 miles on the original tires though. I replaced them because the dealer said they could delaminate due to age. they still had plenty of tread.

Get rid of the car AND the 15 year old… you will be putting money into both of these for years.

This is the wrong car for a 15-16 year old! You are just now starting a series of major repairs, so I would unload this vehicle and buy something very simple and cheap for the 15 year old.

31k/84 months equals $369/month. U might get something on trade in. Would be interesting to see what dealer thinks your trade in is worth?