How hard is it to change the following things

First I drive a 2000 Camry V6.

It would seem my light sensor has gone bad. Says I have a tail light out but no one can find the light that is out. Thus I believe the sensor is bad. How hard is it to replace that?

The harder one I believe. short story
My father drove my car and heard the brakes sounding funny so being the loving father he changed them for me (no charge wedding present). Sound went away for a little like 2 days. So my father says the rotors are bad. I can believe that but when I put on the breaks hard it sounds like the ABS is trying to kick in but does not sound right at all and I don’t feel the fighting. So how hard is it to change the rotors and how do I know if it is really the rotors before changing them?

The vibration you feel could be warped rotors. If it’s a pulsating feeling when you press the brakes…and the ABS is NOT kicking in…then it’s probably the rotors.

How hard to replace??? Not sure on this particular vehicle. Some vehicles have the rotor that’s integrated with the hub…which then makes it very difficult to replace. Someone more familiar with this vehicle will have to chime in.

As for the light…Did you check the side lights too…Front and back???

For the lights: I’ve checked them all. I keep checking them cause well I don’t want the sensor to be bad it costs more than the lights. I will keep checking too.

I have a 2001 Camry.

The rotors on my car are held in place only by the wheel lugs. If your dad can replace the brake pads, he can just as easily replace the rotors.

I had a similar problem with my brake lights. Is your yellow dashboard warning light on telling you that? Mine was.) Turned out it was not the bulbs but part of the wiring harness that had gone bad or had been chewed by squirrels. Only cost was 1.5 hours labor at Toyota. About $150?

My dad would do it but. When I got married my dad had my car for a week. Now I’m back up north and dad is still in the south. So yeah you say it is not hard I can do this :D.

Okay so it looks like I will need to take it to the mechanic to find out what is wrong with the light sensor.

ok i have a question dose anyone know where i can get a free specks book on a 98 ford tuaras…i need to replace the head gasket but just want to make sure i know the specks for the car and that there is noting i forgot to do…

@tiffaanyjo, you need to start a new thread.

That’s a tad off topic, I think…but…

No one provides a free spec’s (as in specifications) book. Head to a local auto parts warehouse, and spend the $20 for the haynes/chilton/what-have-you repair book. Unless some happens to have it, and is willing to re-type everything for you, that’s your best bet.

Good luck…
Chase

Your Camry is an 11 year old car. Many cars don’t have a sensor like this and you don’t need it. Remove the bulb or put a piece of black tape over it.

Regarding the tail light sensor. Back when I had a 2000 Camry I had the same problem: “brake light out” indicator on, but can’t find burned out light. (As I recall, the indicator light pattern tells you which lights are out. E.g., something like: if it goes on when you apply the brake, it means a brake light is out. READ THE MANUAL.) Anyhow, I took it to the dealer under warranty, and the Service Advisor pointed out that the center-mounted brake light, mounted on the rear deck, was out. Duh! Check that one.

The rear lights out sensor actually is just measuring the total current running to all of the rear lights. As the lamps age, they draw less current and are dimmer. They sensor can’t discern the cause of the low current.

So properly, the indicator is a “rear lamp curent low” indicator - not a “light out” sensor.

Replace the main bulbs and all will be fine, e.g. the nag light will go out.

Been there, done that.