How does a person with an electronic key vandalize cars?

The guy who didn’t want electronic keys on his car made me ask this question.

This can’t possibly be a real question :roll_eyes:

To answer, key fobs, at least mine usually have an actual key imbedded in them so push the button and a key pops out. Yeah some girl ran a key all along the side of my new Olds back in 1982. She didn’t like the way I parked in the hotel parking lot with the camper in tow. South of Atlanta and was a wild one. I knew who it was after the fact. Up and down fender to quarter panel so the whole side had to be repainted.

You heard of throwing rocks?

They do plenty of damage

Don’t need a darn key

1 Like

I have a front door key, garage key and back door key hanging on my fob, Can’t key the front and back door the same, as the front door is a skeleton key. silly question.

OK, now tell us the truth. who are you mad at? lol

1 Like

I thought it was an amusing idea. I had heard about someone keying a car in the past. Hotels have switched to card keys. People have automated car doors. Some have electronic house locks. Eventually there’ll be no physical keys.

Even had the option to check into the hotel using my smartphone, then unlock the hotel door with my smartphone. Yes keys are on the road to extinction. My daughter broke the key in the garage door lock. since the handle for the garage door pulls out, pulling the handle and leaving it on a window sill is my new anti theft device.

Yeah everyone thinks it’s funny till the batteries run out. Keep 4 AA batteries in your pocket or replace them pronto every year. Otherwise you need the key over-ride. I considered that for my front door dead bolt but the units are $300. Plus I have two other doors keyed alike. So what good would one do, me asks? Nothing against all the new electronic stuff as long as it can’t be hacked, and calling a furnace guy from 1000 miles away would be nice to give him a code for the door instead of the lock box, but sometimes the old ways make a lot more sense.

1 Like

+1 on all counts.
I am not at all a Luddite, but the frequency of hacking of almost everything nowadays leaves me with the inevitable question…
Why would I want to secure my home with an e-lock that could be hacked?

2 Likes

Then you think about what is the most vulnerable part of your house? The windows or how hard is it to simply bang the door in, dead lock or not? Like I used to explain when we were going through all kinds of security measures at work-yeah doors are secure and no one without a card can get in, unless you have a brick to simply throw through the window. Just kinda puts it all in perspective and we kept the night security guard.

You do it the other way around: have all the power in the lock, none, or almost none, in the key. I have a lot of things that work for years on 2 AGC3 batteries, the little button batteries. RFID tags use no batteries. I don’t have any of this stuff, mind you, but I drive an '87 pickup too.

It’s a lot easier to pick a lock, or break a window.

I read about a gang that used computer-controlled electronic door keys. A well-dressed guy would stand near an expensive car, the device, in his pocket, would try millions of combinations a minute. When it hit, he’d drive it off, where it got sent to Yugoslavia.

This was what I was talking about for home dead bolts. 4 pack of batteries recommended to be replaced once a year. The unit throws the bolt each time so takes a little heft.

My front door is constructed with an ingenious triple deadbolt that is part of the door’s design, and I had the door frame beefed-up. Obviously, the developer who built the house didn’t provide any of this.

I also have a home security system, with glass break detector microphones, sensors on all doors and windows, exterior red lights and sirens if somebody activates the alarm, and a phone connection to the security company. A few years ago, I installed surveillance cameras at all entry doors, and the one at my front door notifies anyone who sets foot on my porch that they have just been photographed.

Short of hiring a security guard, I don’t know what else I could do, and I don’t plan on hiring a guard. My dog, who barks when anyone comes to an entry door, will have to substitute for a human guard.

1 Like

Snug as a bug in a rug. You forgot the electrified barbed wire fence around the whole place. I’m a little behind and just thinking about a camera to tell me if the driveway needs plowing when I’m down south.

My apology for going off topic to the purists.

Plus the dog will work a lot cheaper [ dog food and doggy snacks ] and will be on duty 24/7. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m poor, so there’s no reason to break in. When my laundromat quarters disappeared I figured out that somebody was getting in. I told a friend, he said, ‘He must have been disappointed.’ I was living in Santa Monica, left my windows open, so it was easy to get in.

Walk up to the door, get the code off the door handle (something like XXX XX), head to the garage door dealer, and ask for a lost key. Dollar and done. Loot home. :frowning:

Got an electric operator? No problem. Open a transmitter up, stick an Allen wrench in the screw, aim it at the door, and slowly turn the screw until the right frequency is hit. Up she goes. Loot home. :frowning:

I know someone a long time ago who lost some tools and a motorcycle due to the former. The only way of keeping that door locked down is to insert a bolt in the tracks from the inside. Of course that defeats the purpose of being able to open it from the outside; unless VDCdriver’s suggestion about a security guard is carried out.