How do you think this damage occurred on filter

No disputing, but I’ve always tended to decide when to change the oil by its appearance more than by the number of miles driven. Usually it starts to turn the color I don’t like (dark brown) around 5 k miles, so that’s when I change it. It’s never below the one quart low mark at that point on either of my vehicles, but sometimes just a little above the one quart low mark. . I don’t think the issue here is that the shop decided OP didn’t need an oil change since the oil color was ok and fill level ok.

OP: If oil leak was the cause, oil warning light should have turned on the dash. Did it? If not, make sure your shop checks to see if the bulb is burned out.

Two punctures on opposite sides of the filter if I read the video right.

1 Like

The oil light did not turn on until the engine seized.

It appears that initiating an oil change then aborting has resulted in disaster.

The office clerk could have reviewed your maintenance records or asked to see your receipts before writing the repair order.

Before setting out for an oil change, check your maintenance computer to see if an oil change or other maintenance is needed. There are several pages in the owner’s manual that explain the maintenance codes and services needed.

Unfortunately as far as I know some vehicles are like that. Toyotas have had the oil pressure sensor in the cylinder head, far away from the oil filter and pump, with a high enough pressure sensor to alert you soon enough even when cruising on the highway. Fords have put it right next to the oil filter, and it won’t come on until the pressure is low enough to cause damage. It’s only helpful for a sudden complete loss of oil or else it only will come on at idle speed.

Jiffly lube is completely to blame for this!

So you think maybe the guy stuck a screwdriver through the filter to loosen it, then they said no oil change needed and he let it go?

No. The guy used a pair of oil filter pliers that look just like mine. They can put 2 small punctures in the can 180 degrees apart if you squeeze hard enough when removing.

Then he was told no service, so just tightened the filter back up not knowing he caused a leak.

I’ll bet $100 that’s what happened, but good luck proving it.

6 Likes

Yeah the $14 one at HF

1 Like

That’s my question as well.

Normally insurance covers damage due to an accident, not a mechanical failure. If you have comprehensive, insurance would cover stuff like hail damage and the like. Again, not mechanical failures.

So I think if you have a case, you need to get a lawyer to help you sue Jiffy Lube. The insurance company isn’t supposed to cover stuff like that…The only way insurance would be involved is if you hit debris, and based on the video, that isn’t the case.

2 Likes

I agree with Bing but since the last visit to Jiffy Lube was 2 months ago and was running with only 1 quart of oil, there’s also an element of personal responsibility.
i.e. During those 2 months did you ever bother to check the oil level or do anything when the engine was showing signs of oil starvation?

Going to Court may be your only option but as an attorney once told me, “Courts can only deliver a verdict, not justice” so a better option may be mediation.

I didn’t drive it for two months. The engine sieved the very next day.

and no oily film on top of belly pan? well, oil leaked out so i assume it was oil covered.

Ditto on what Asemaster said.

Others minimize what the oil light means. There are many idiot lights you can ignore for a “little” while and get away with it. The oil (pressure) light is not one of them. You need to pull right over and shut down the engine.

Years ago my GF and I were discussing the oil light (exciting, I know!). She was driving a Isuzu Trooper with a V6 engine. I said: “If you see that light pull right over or you’ll ruin the engine.” A couple years later she called me and said: “My light came on and I remembered what you said and I pulled over!” A couple days earlier she had the oil changed at one of those Quicky places. Turns out the oil filter fell off and the oil was gone in seconds. She drove that truck for a few more years after that.

3 Likes

Carshield or a similar TV advertised vehicle protection plan!

If you would pay attention you would have seen this person has USSA insurance and they don’t have extended vehicle warranties .

Pretty much the reason i never go to a Jiffy Lube type place. I only let ASC certified mechanics touch my car. Ever.

1 Like

asc
I wouldn’t let cinematographers touch my car, but that’s just me. :rofl: :rofl:

I believe you meant ASE . :slight_smile:
ase

1 Like

I agree, but at least they can record a video of the ASE mechanic turning the task of an oil change over to his underling “grease monkey”.

3 Likes

Would that “grease monkey” be Technician A, Technician B, both, or neither?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes sorry I meant ASE!

1 Like