How do you jack up a car properly?

Actually a lot of them do it to generate money. I dint watch the video and not sure how we got from changing a belt to doing an alignment. Videos can be good or bad. There is no rating system. You have to consider the source and use your own research.

At any rate, when I changed my struts, I had the shop do a four wheel aliignment for $85 while I had a cup of coffee. I also had the Acura dealer put a new belt on for about $125 but the belt alone was $75. I consider both of these reasonable costs and a worthwhile service to hire out. Like the saying goes, if you have to ask you probably shouldn’t do it. (Yeah I know how to spell, but this iPad has a mind of its own.)

2 Likes

Most of these videos assume the viewer has some basic skills
 for example, knowing the proper way to jack up a car.

Going from “how do I jack up a car” to how do I do home alignments is like learning how to swim off YouTube and then asking how to cliff dive without ever entering the water.

5 Likes

do you think i was thinking contrary? what kind of answer is that even? tell me something i dont know. you and i are on totally different wavelenghs

You asked a question, he answered. I don’t see a problem.

neither do i

Oh gee, don’t say cliff dive. Haven’t thought about it in years but as a freshman went to a party with a bunch o zetas to a lonely park with a cliff. One of the guys was determined to dive 30 feet to the creek below and had to be talked down. Scared the heck out of me. I decided society life was not for me. If I would have had a car I would have left. Who needs to be involved in a scandle and sheriff investigation when someone splatters themselves? Not sure if his folks would have gotten the tuition money back or not. And my mother would have been embarrassed when it hit the papers.

Welcome to the world of Internet spam. Go search for some information about cars online. You’ll find various search results where it looks like a non native English speaker copied and pasted sentences from different source together to make up an article. The article has advertisements and it is meant to generate money. It doesn’t matter if the person who wrote the article has any qualifications for this topic. What is important is a high search engine ranking, a topic that a lot of people search for so they can get a lot of hits, and then have the reader spend enough time on the page to see the advertisements. By the time they read the article and figure out that it’s junk, they have spent the same amount of time as if it were good article and the advertisement exposure is the same. The Internet is very much unlike a book written by experts in their fields, subject to approval of a publishing company that wishes too maintain a good reputation. Another problem is that search engines have a vested interest in promoting search results which contain advertisements, because for instance Google has a very big advertising division. You’re searching Google, clicking a result which contains junk information, that’s filled with advertisements from Google advertising. The site owner wins, Google wins, and you lose.

The same thing happens on youtube. Like & subscribe, like and subscribe! They make revenue off of the advertisements. The more likes and followers the more they are promoted, and the more money they make, and the more fame they get. The earlier video from Scotty is like this. He is a very popular on youtube, but he has repeated some automotive myths where an educated scientist or engineer would know better. The jacking up a car video contained false information. His videos are padded to make them longer, leaving more room for advertisements.

Bing already said it. I explained how it works in further detail!

1 Like

Re: Home wheel alignment

If interested in pursuing that idea, suggest to purchase a wheel alignment kit rather than attempting the job purely home-brew. Kits are relatively inexpensive, many less than $250. Requires a flat & level surface. If only need to check toe, that can usually be done using home-brew methods. Whether it makes $$$ sense depends on the value of your time.

1 Like