How can I protect the spare tire a criminal can easily access under the Expedition?

"Robert Gift, you have been on here before with "nut case" ideas or questions, I have been driving 65 years and have NEVER had a spare tire stolen."
Increasing numbers of spares and catalytic converters are being stolen, perhaps made easy by battery-operated cutting wheels.

Robert, you say you had to lower the spare to check the psi ?

Now that you have it lowered…
flip it over, valve stem down, and hoist it back into position.
NOW, you’ll always be able to check its psi at a moment’s notice :slight_smile:

"... flip it over, valve stem down, and hoist it back into position."
Good idea! I tried that. Unfortunately the holder sticks out lower because it is not within the concave side of the wheel. (Lowering it during Cah Talk every Saturday morning keeps me proficient in case I must do a quick tire change on a bloodelivery.)

Sad day when you need to make the spare easily accessible to a thief so that he doesn’t do more damage. Maybe leave a note and bag of cookies for him.

How about wiring a dye pack to the spare like the banks do? Then they get the tire but are covered in orange dye for a while.

^ I have a high voltage device which could electrocute one who touches the car under carriage while grabbing the spare tire fastener.
If I did not always do walk-arounds, I could just drive off not knowing a criminal made an attempt.
(A thief stealing a 5/8’s-inch copper grounding conductor at a power transformer was killed and his arm burned in half when he cut through the bare copper grounding conductor.)

@ellyellis

Where you live it must not be a problem, where I live its not a problem. Many places spare tire theft is a problem. To call the OP a nutcase because he asked a legitimate question is over the top.

You sound to me like a hothead.

"To call the OP a nutcase because he asked a legitimate question is over the top. You sound to me like a hothead."
Obviously you have not seen some of my other posts! I am not afraid to ask anything unusual or propose anything unusual. Many found my floodlight engine, transmission and differential heaters funny. What's funny is that it's cheap, efficient and works well.

I dunno, what’s unusual is why someone would continue to volunteer for duty, then be kept waiting at a hospital in a bad area, to take delivery of blood. All the while being fearful of having the tire or worse stolen or vandalized. Seems to me some of these hospitals should reciprocate a little with prompt attention to the deliveries or at least security for the parking area. Being forced to sleep in the truck waiting? Me thinks one is being taken huge advantage of.

Way too much free time. Why else are many of us even regularly contribute to this and other forums ? Robt probably has a little more then some.

@robert gift

You are a bit eccentric it seems, but so was Eisenstein. Im not sure about driving 100mph like you do, but your heatlamp heaters reminds me of something.

Back in the early 70’s there were no setback thermostats, My father used to use a metal shaded utility light and put it on a timer, it was placed by the thermostat. At 5 am the light would turn off and the heat would kick on and heat up the house.

Crude, but it worked.

^ They don’t call me voldumbteer for nothing.
All kinds of complications have occured.
Transplantissues may take far longer to harvest.
Blood center expects product to be ready and additional tests delay it hours.
If I return home, they could call as soon as I get home, so why bother?
Often I’ll sleep in the parking lot or get on the computer, read, do paperwork or clean/detail the vehicle.
If wife is along, she’ll watch her Chinese movies on her iPad.

Right now I’m using the the computer while dispatching the tree service for which I work.

ken green, Robert always has a far out excuse for what he does. This ain’t his first rodeo!

"At 5 am the light would turn off and the heat would kick on and heat up the house. Crude, but it worked."
Excellent! Could only be.tter if the timer were connected to the furnace power. But such would not allow easy overide.