Houston We Have A Problem - An Open Letter to Chevrolet

No joke. I goofed. Brain fart.

I like the names…I just can’t remember them!

In the far East, there are no GM dealers, only Chevrolet dealers. In SE Asia they sell the Lumina (still made in Australia), the various Korean Daewoo-based models (Aveo, etc.) and some Opel models sold as Chevrolets. There is no market for a large V8 type car because of income levels and gas prices. In China most GM cars are sold as Buicks. In South Anmerica, the Chevy Corsa, simlar to the Cvalier, is a big seller.

Years ago when I lived in Europe there were DeSoto Trucks!! Really rebadged Dodges.

In the Middle East, with very cheap gas, no CAFE standards, and lots of money, you sell whatever is most profitable. Saudis like large 4 door sedans, and the US has always been a good provider of these.

Mercedes sells some awesome cars in the S class whith enormous engines.

You must be referring to much maligned the Mustang II. At least they left that behind and went back to the righteous way

The Mustang II is hated by true muscle Mustang fans, but it was the right car for the right time for Ford. They introduced it in the summer of '73 right before the gas crunch pushed prices up quickly. They sold almost as many of them in their first 12 months as they did the original Mustang.

I never liked the look of the Fox bodies very much but some of them were very fast. I think that they have them right since then, honest Mustangs. Now, the current Impala, GTO, Monte Carlo,… Yuk. The names just don’t work for me.

No, not the “mustang II,” at least they knew better than to call that a mustang (I actually owned one of those as a winter beater for a few months). I was referring to all the later 'mustangs," including the ones currently sold. They might be OK cars, they’re just not real mustangs.