Hot start problem

1988 Dodge Ram 50 Pick-up

My truck is the Mitsubishi 2.6L automatic with only 68,000 original miles on it. i’ve already replaced the head, radiator, timing chain, fuel pump, gas filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil and filter.

it runs great and uses very little gas, BUT when i shut it off and start it back up hot it runs like a dog. it fights me and loses power. sometimes i can’t get it to 25 mph going uphill. i straight piped the catalyic converter cause i thought maybe it was clogged. it wasn’t, i have the same problem. Like i said on a cold start i can drive from NY to LA and she runs great, with good gas mileage, but shut her off and restart and she fights me. she spits and putters and acts kinda like a vacuum leak, but if it were vacuum why does it act up only when started up hot? when shes acting up and won’t go and i put it in nutral and floor it or rev it up she acts fine except blows alot of black smoke out the tailpipe. when i put it back in drive it starts fighting me again? she drivin me nuts. can somebody help me? Thanks.

It’s carburetted, yes? Sounds like gas is boiling in the float bowl and running into the intake, thus flooding the engine. There is a hose that vents the carb to the evaporative system which might be clogged or not connected properly. There is also probably an insulator between the carb and the intake manifold to keep too much heat from reaching the carb. Is that there?

It sounds like something is getting heat soaked. I may be the coil (or whatever serves that purpose) or some thing in the fuel chain.

sorry i didn’t get back to you sooner. my computer took a dump, and i havn’t been able to check replys. i appreciate your help immensly. my e-mail is lpd616@hotmail.com

yes it is carberated. i will do what you suggested and get back to you. if you can send me your e-mail. it will be easier to stay in touch.

thanks again.