Honking and flashing lights...OH MY

So last night I get woken up by my cars horn going on and off. I get up and hit the horn button on my key fob and the honking stops. Go back to back to bed and 10 minutes later the honking and flashing lights start again. I get up, disconnect the neg battery cable and go back to bed. Today I was heading up to my sisters house, so I reconnected the neg battery cable and went on my way. Everything seemed okay. I get to my sisters and after being in the house for a while my brother in law says “your car is honking”. I go out and disconnect the neg battery cable again. On my way home tonight the interior lights start flashing on and off and the power door locks are opening and closing. I thought I was in the twilight zone. Any ideas?
2007 Saturn Vue 3.5L

A failing BCM can cause what you describe.

Tester

1 Like

The car has a failing/malfunctioning door ajar switch. The door ajar switch is signaling the body computer to switch on the interior lights. Until you repair this, do not arm the alarm system if you want to sleep at night.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I’ll start with the Door Open Warning Switch (drivers side) and take it from there.

For my own education, do Saturn’s allow you to disarm the panic alarms? None of my Fords have that feature, I have accidentally hit the button on my fob while in my pants pocket.

I don’t know about the panic alarm, a door ajar while parked will activate the security alarm. To arm the security alarm, the doors must be lock using a door lock switch or keyless entry transmitter. Manually locking the doors will not engage the alarm.

Found the culprit. It was actually the front passenger side Door Open Warning Switch. The assembly was broken apart inside the side dash area. Pulled the side panel off and was able to slide it back together for now. New one is on the way. :wink:

3 Likes