Honda Ridgeline vs Toyota Tacoma

The realistic difference I was referring to is the that the Ford F150 was even brought in. OP wants Taco/Ridgeline. I can say OP should get a FJ Cruiser that may do 15/20. Comparison would still be an unrealistic difference; apples and oranges and in the context of the entire post. Getting the mileage in one car is not the same as getting the same in another different car used for a different purpose, esp. when they’re not even part of the discussion. If you use an F150, exactly for what it was intended, and a Ridgeline as it was, I guarantee in real life, they will not get close to the same mileage. If you use them both in the same way to get the same mileage, one of them will be woefully misused.

Not really, the EPA revised their methodology in 2008. The new EPA estimates are almost dead on these days in what kind of fuel economy you can realistically expect to get. Of course 10-20 years ago they were a joke and it was almost unheard of for people to get the old EPA estimates in ordinary driving.

EPA estimates are not done under load and not done under expected use conditions for all vehicles. They are done under a standardized protocol for all vehicles. My point is, and I apologize for repeating, is that vehicles that are so disimilar as the f150 and Ridgeline make invalid comparisons. The question of comparing Ridgeline/Tacoma with respect to OP original Question is more valid as they are more similar in use. I could hang a plow on an F150 with sand in the back for 1000 lbs. I can’t do the same with a Ridgeline but could put !000lbs of gear in it. Unfair to both trucks to compare efficiency in the real world use as the F150 in those conditions would suffer much more even with the same weight.

Hang the same boat on the back of each and depending upon the weight (even if the boat were heavier for the 150) the mileage edge would probably go to the F!50 by a MORE significant difference as it has more torque. EPA won’t tell you that difference, nor will their estimates reveal a valid relationship.

I would also confidently argue that the Ridgeline would show a significant advantage in mileage in high speed commuting above the highway limits set by the EPA. This difference would be no where near as great when comparing Taco/Ridgeline; more closely aligned vehicles

We really don’t know under load what the adjusted economy of each truck will be. EPA does not even pretend to do that as the usage of trucks is much more variable than cars. EPA assumes that both vehicles are used for commuting and shopping. "Under use for an F150, proper for a Ridgeline. Apples and Oranges, EPA estimates are not real world in the practical use of these too different vehicles.
I plow and use different make dump trucks, and even with these more similar vehicles used in a like manner they vary much more in mileage than their “EPA” estimates would have you believe in the real life working conditions. Hope my position is clear…but good debate.

Wow!
Thanks for all of the info.
Used to have a 2001 Dodge Dakota extended cab. But had a lot of putzy stuff go wrong with it. Finally got totaled in an accident. Not too sad about that.
So was looking for something similar in size and abilities but a roomier cab. A full size truck won’t fit in the garage unfortunately. Do some towing of boats & trailers, and hauling of stuff anywhere from light stuff to rocks and timbered trees. And all terrain, hwy, dirt roads, minimally maintained roads and frozen lakes.
So with looking with all of that and some of your imput, decided to go with the Tacoma quad cab. Will see if Toyota lives up to our needs.
Thanks

In that case,very good choice.
Regards